Opinion: Illinois for Nader endorses Ralph Nader

Matt Yurkanin

Matt Yurkanin

By The Daily Illini

The presidential election isn’t over yet, but we already know who has won and who has lost.

The winner: politics as usual.

The loser: the American people.

The media have repeated over and over that this is a crucial election, and they’re right. We need to send a strong message to our politicians that we are not happy with how things are going – the war in Iraq, the Patriot Act, the health-care crisis, the growing income gap, etc. In Illinois, the strongest message you can send to Washington is to write in Ralph Nader on this November’s ballot.

Nader always has been against the war in Iraq. Bush and Kerry both wanted this war and both have pledged to continue waging it no matter what the human cost. So far, more than

1,000 U.S. citizens and 100,000 Iraqis have died. A vote for Kerry or Bush is a vote for war. A vote for Nader is a vote for peace and the end of the military and corporate occupation of Iraq.

Bush signed the Patriot Act – an attack on privacy, fair and speedy trials, and even the principle of “innocent until proven guilty.” Kerry voted for the Patriot Act and said he would do it again. Nader is against it and does not believe we should let the terrorists win by taking away the very freedoms that make our nation great.

Nader is one of the only candidates calling for universal health care, a living wage so working families can support their children, an end to corporate welfare and a crackdown on corporate crime.

But this election is about more than these issues. The Democrats and Republicans have waged a war on democracy using lies, intimidation, harassment and phony lawsuits both here in Illinois and elsewhere to limit voter choices in this election.

The Democrats and Republicans have excluded Nader for one simple reason: They know that if U.S. citizens heard Nader’s views on the issues, Nader would win any debate hands down.

In 2000 and 2004, a majority of U.S. citizens polled nationally wanted Nader in the debates. But in a world where corrupt Republicrats rule, the majority doesn’t matter – only money and power do.

In history, many of the greatest social reforms were first advanced by independents or third parties: the abolition of slavery, women’s right to vote, social security, etc. A vote for Nader shows the major parties that you want change, and you want it now.

In Illinois, you must write in both Ralph Nader and his running mate Peter M. Camejo on the ballot in order for your vote to count. Help send a message to Washington that we will not settle for the lesser of two evils every four years.

Errol M. O’Neill

president, Illinois for Nader

UIUC campus coordinator,

Nader for President 2004