Opinion: Culture war

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Editorial Board

Many have said the close results of the presidential election are evidence of the culture war dividing our country. Two issues dividing school boards around the country are testaments to this “culture war.”

In Grantsburg, Wis., school officials want to revise the science curriculum so that creationism can be taught along with evolution in public schools. While both are theories regarding the origins of life, one is a scientific theory based on empirical evidence and widely accepted throughout the world. The other is a theory based on faith that is perhaps better addressed in a social studies class.

What’s more, it is unclear which story of creation should be told and how it should be taught. It is wrong to assume that because most of this country holds Judeo-Christian beliefs that the Biblical version of creation should be presented. Not only does this leave out the hundreds of other stories about creation that are accepted among different cultures, but it also overlooks Judeo-Christian-based traditions that interpret Old Testament scripture in different ways.

Creationism obviously is an issue bound to come up when evolution is taught in the classroom. After all, this is a religious country, and children are bound to have questions. Still, creationism should in no way be treated as a scientific theory equal to evolution.

Meanwhile, in Austin, Texas, another culture battle is underway. The Texas State Board of Education wants health textbooks to clearly state that marriage is only between a man and a woman. Some argue that the current texts are trying to nullify a Texas law banning the recognition of same-sex civil unions by using phrases such as “individuals who marry” instead of defining marriage as between “husbands and wives.”

The school board should keep in mind that English is a complex language that allows for many semantic games. Defining marriage as between “husbands and wives” could also refer to a marriage between two husbands or two wives, not just a traditional union between one husband and one wife. Officially, the board is only allowed to reject books if they contain factual errors or fail to follow state-mandated curriculum. Although we have not seen the current books, the descriptions they allege don’t fall into either of these categories.

It is rare that health books even address the issue of homosexuality at all. However, because one in 10 people identify themselves as a gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered person, it might behoove educators to begin making students aware of these differences at a younger age.

While some might believe teaching acceptance of non-heterosexual lifestyles would encourage people to become homosexuals, we beg to differ. It is merely something that should be included in a diverse education. Just as some people practice different religions, speak different languages or have different racial and ethnic backgrounds, some boys like to kiss boys and some girls like to kiss girls.

Ultimately, the culture wars will continue to divide our country and probably will remain until individuals are able to accept that religious faith is not the only deciding factor that should be used in the public sphere.