Letter: What’s wrong with fans?

By The Daily Illini

With the total lack of enthusiasm shown at the men’s basketball game tonight, you would think that 16,000 fans were waiting to receive prostate exams. I was shocked. Illinois is the No. 1-ranked team in the country! For the first time in 15 years! What is the matter?

Granted, Chicago State is no Wake Forest. But this is no excuse. During the football season, I heard several students from other Big Ten schools comment on how bad our fans are – that we just don’t seem to care. Well, this isn’t the football team. We have something to cheer about. We are the No. 1 team in the country! Oh, I tried to cheer. And so did a few people around me. But all of that came to a halt when a group of us were asked to sit down by several students behind us. I am sorry if I was forcing anyone to stand up and cheer for the men’s basketball team. I, for one, want to stand up, and I would hope that other people do too – especially the students! If you want to sit, why not just watch the game on television?

I’m sorry if I seem a little bitter, but I think I have every right to be. All of my life, I have been surrounded by lackluster sports teams. This is one of the best men’s basketball teams Illinois has had in a long time, and with the exception of the Wake Forest game, no one seems to care. I’m beginning to believe that what students from other schools say is true: Illinois fans suck.

Grant Van Tine

junior in ACES