Column: Unbearaly crazy

By Chris Kozak

Suppose you open the morning paper and see a story about a decision by Mattel to stop selling Barbie dolls because protesters in the National Organization for Women feel that she promotes unachievable expectations for girls. Imagine the fury of Mattel investors. I’m sure they would really be pleased if their investment in the company took a huge hit due to the subsequent loss of profits just so everyone can feel good about themselves. Group hug!

Recently, a situation similar to this occurred up in New England. The Vermont Teddy Bear Company (VTBC) announced that it would no longer sell the “Crazy for You” bear – a teddy bear dressed in a straitjacket, and one of its best selling products. Why? Because the Vermont chapter of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) demanded that they do so. The bear, which is meant as a funny Valentine’s Day greeting, sold for $69.95 but now can be purchased on e-Bay for upwards of $300.

Just two weeks ago, Vermont Teddy Bear Company CEO Elisabeth Robert responded to the NAMI complaints by saying the company would continue to market the bear and that “we’re not in the position to be told what we can and cannot sell.” Finally, someone is challenged by a group of offended activists and doesn’t beg for forgiveness. Robert’s statement was one of the most refreshing things I had heard all week. It was nice to see someone finally put their foot down and flat-out reject a loony request from a special interest group.

Last week, however, Robert did what is happening too often in this country today. She gave in. After meeting with the Vermont chapter of NAMI on Feb. 1, she declared the company would stop manufacturing the bear once it sold out.

“We sat around a Vermont kitchen table and talked,” Robert said. “From the respectful, human discourse, I learned a lot about the significance of stigma in the mental health community and the plight of real people who suffer from mental illness.”

Well that’s very nice. If I were mentally ill, I’d hopefully have more important things to worry about than a stupid stuffed animal.

According to NAMI Web site, the “Crazy for You” bear is “contributing to a broader public health crisis” and the Vermont Teddy Bear Company is “destroying (its) own reputation.” Contributing to a public health crisis? Yeah, a teddy bear in a straitjacket really diminishes my opinion of those with mental illnesses. Because of this bear, these people are no longer in need of love or treatment. While we’re at it, we might as well just quarantine all of them too. I’ll certainly agree with NAMI’s latter argument, however. Why would I invest my hard-earned money in a company that stops making one of its best-selling products in order to please a small group of people not labeled “shareholders?”

You see, in the United States we have this little thing called freedom of expression. And contrary to what seems to be a growing popular belief in this country, the Constitution does not grant you immunity from being offended. The Vermont Teddy Bear Company is allowed to manufacture and sell any type of stuffed animal it pleases – just like NAMI has the right to disagree with and complain about VTBC’s products. A free market economy is ruled by the laws of supply and demand. If a person finds a product absolutely repulsive, like NAMI finds the “Crazy for You” bear, then he won’t buy it. If nobody buys a product, it won’t be manufactured or sold anymore. It’s a pretty simple concept.

Of course, we now live in a world where if your feelings are hurt, you can make ridiculous demands and even sue for reparations. But what’s even more unfortunate is that people actually give in to these demands. We all need to grow thicker skin and stop acting like we’re back in pre-school.

Because it’s driving me insane.