The return of Rush

By Ryne Nelson

Monday, 10:30 p.m.: To be quite frank, I don’t really care that it’s a hot, humid and an altogether nasty night. My mind’s on other things.

The power is out in Naperville, Ill. I’m stuck filming a boring school district meeting. Apparently, the power shortage isn’t affecting the district building (although I wish it would – I could sleep better).

After three hours of taping, I return home. I’m thinking about two things: tomorrow’s NBA Finals Game 6 and the NBA Draft deadline. Particularly, I’m interested in Illinois recruit Brandon Rush’s decision.

My family just finished watching Hitch. They say the power went out for about an hour and they had to open the windows for some air. Not thinking much about it, I head upstairs to check my e-mail. It’s always hot up here anyway, even if the air conditioning is on.

So much for checking e-mail – the network went down too. Darn technology.

Tuesday, 10:27 p.m.: “Greatest thing about sports: one night you’re a bum … 48 hours later, you’re a hero.” – Al Michaels

Without ESPN.com, the NBA Finals is about the only thing I have left of the sports world. The Pistons go on a 4-0 run to increase their lead to 91-86. Tayshaun mini hook, Ben Wallace block. Rasheed put back. Popovich timeout. 1:25 left.

Instant Al Michaels platitude.

I feel good, well, at least better. My Pistons just pulled away and are on the verge of winning probably their toughest road game of the year. I will sleep well knowing San Antonio is keeping the bottles corked for at least 48 hours.

I don’t care about Thursday’s Game 7 outcome; the Pistons just took the most important game of the Finals. Their 95-86 road win just two nights after a devastating one-point home loss ranks among the greatest of their many postseason resurgences.

As clich‚ as his statement was, Al Michaels is right.

Time changes everything. If you give anyone a second chance, things may start going your way. From bum to hero. Instant success.

Well put, Al.

Tuesday, 10:30 p.m.: To be quite frank, I’m pissed off. Why wouldn’t I be? The darn Internet still isn’t working!

Here I am, sitting on the carpet trying to do five things at once, getting nothing but a headache!

Read the list:

– Watch pivotal Game 6 of the NBA Finals

– Figure out what happened to my e-mail over the last 24 hours

– See who withdrew from the NBA Draft

– Recover from watching The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

– Curse out my brother because of my frustration

For about two minutes, I network works. Just enough time to look at my work schedule and lose it all again.

This is where unwritten journalism law permits me from true freedom of speech.

I know, I know. I sound like a loony, but what’s a man to do with a flaky network and the NBA season on the line?

Wednesday, 10:30 a.m.: I’m sitting on our backyard Adirondack chairs. It’s a beautiful 72 degrees with a light breeze. The trees cover me in a blanket of shade, intercepting the morning sun’s bright rays. The birds are chirping. The flowers are blossoming.

I feel like I should be writing poetry or something.

We replaced the wireless router for the network today. And our network still works like crap.

For days I haven’t been able to meet deadlines (this article being one of them), check e-mail or read the latest news. Even with the new router, our network is as flaky as a crushed bag of Lays.

Connection.

I swing the cursor to KansasCityStar.com, and what do I see? Durham prep star Brandon Rush withdrew his name from the NBA draft one hour before yesterday’s deadline. The Top 15 recruit has two schools on the radar: Illinois and Oklahoma.

Although Rush said he was leaning toward Oklahoma at the Chicago predraft camp, Illini fans should still retain hope.

Rush’s comment was weeks ago, and time changes everything – especially with a program headed by Bruce Weber.

If you give anyone a second chance, things may start going your way. From bum to hero. Instant success.