Letter: Immigrate destiny?

As an immigrant, I think the title of Darhiana Mateo’s Oct. 17 article, “Locals rally for immigration reform,” should be “Locals rally for open borders.”

Americans concerned about racial harmony and our national unity should heed the following: last December, the Mexican government published a guide advising illegal Mexican nationals on how to cross the U.S. border safely. In 2001, Ernesto Ruffo Appel, then-border czar of Mexico, reportedly told would-be illegal Mexican migrants, “If the border patrol agent finds you, try again.” In 1997, Ernest Zedillo, then-President of Mexico, said in Chicago, “I have proudly affirmed that the Mexican nation extends beyond the territory enclosed by its borders and that Mexican migrants are an important, a very important, part of it.”

Mexico has been pushing for benefits and amnesty for millions of illegal aliens. Those amnestied aliens, once naturalized, could vote in U.S. elections. Children born here of illegal aliens and guest workers are also U.S. citizens and future voters.

Also, in 1999, Norman Bernstein, principal of a school in San Fernando Valley, Calif., told the Los Angeles Times that he was beaten unconscious by two men, at least one of them a Latino. He said that those men said to him, “We don’t want you here any more, principal. Do you understand that, white principal?” Recently, Latino students reportedly told Black American students in a Los Angeles high school to “go back to Africa.” Is Mexico using migration to extend the Mexican nation?

Yeh Ling-Ling

Executive Director

Diversity Alliance for a Sustainable America