Other campus: Nudity as art (Boston)

By The Daily Free Press

(U-WIRE) BOSTON – In the beginning, when God created man – and woman – both were in their natural form, uncovered to the rest of nature, unrestricted by a false facade that has now come to be all too common among us. In one word, they were naked.

Now, perhaps millions of years later, the trend seems to be setting back into society, of course with a few exceptions over the years: the nudist drinking societies of ancient Rome, and more recently, the homemade pornographic movie made in Warren Towers.

But some still overlook the true value of the human form, and even go to the extent of shunning nipples, genitals and other forms of sexuality in public. Exposing one’s sexuality is too often regarded as vulgarity, rather than a form of art.

With nudist resorts, restaurants and college party venues being erected across the country, and indeed across the globe, it is time for society to strip down its conservativism into a more truthful, undisguised form.

The concrete, man-made urban landscape can often put city dwellers – like Boston University students – out of touch with their true selves, forgetting about their very means of existence – their flesh, fingernails, hair, buns, hindquarters and other components that make us who we really are, all while serving a necessary function for our biological livelihood.

The rise of nudity surmises unity, as human beings come to savor how similar we are to one another, and come to better appreciate all shapes and sizes of the species.

Nudity should not be a crude form of self-expression, nor should it be a rudeness that has isolated our heterogeneous oneness.

So don’t feel ashamed to identify your intimacy with yourself and the people around you. We don’t advocate doing it in the outdoors these days, but it is a great way to reveal your true selves to those around you in a warm, climate-controlled environment.

And if you feel the need for some privacy, use a leaf, or something else natural.

Staff Editorial

The Daily Free Press (Boston)