Staff Editorial: A letter to new Greek Affairs Dean Ashley Dye

By Staff Editorial

You have your work cut out for you, Dean Dye. Our Greek community – biggest in the country – is riddled with problems. It is highly segregated by race and socioeconomic status, largely dominated by men, ultra-competitive and has a reputation for being secluded from the rest of campus.

Having a woman in charge will certainly help bring new perspectives. But your responsibilities in bringing the University’s Greek community up to date with the 21st century will be a difficult one. Let us offer you some advice.

First of all, if Greek Affairs is going to establish rules, take a proactive stance and do it. The tradition of serenades, for example, has been in limbo for three years now, as administrators decide whether or not they can be done in a respectable fashion. Abolish serenades or bring them back. Don’t let the issue remain undecided.

The Greeks are also plagued by an endless parade of roundtable discussions that serve no purpose – a flaw that large organizations are always subject to. Instead of numerous, pointless summits on diversity, do something proactive about diversity in our houses. Talk to students and find out why Greeks are perceived as secluded, and then do something to recruit transfer students, minority students and students from low socioeconomic backgrounds.

There are things that can be done right now to make our Greek community better. Eliminating the degrading “Corporate ho’s and CEO’s” exchange themes, for example, could be accomplished overnight.

Issues such as diversity and a bad campus-wide reputation of Greeks won’t be solved in a day; don’t be discouraged or abandon the cause.

But most importantly, always keep an open line with students – Greek or not. Become the visible leader that the Greeks on campus need – and Illinois will have not just the biggest Greek community, but also the best.