Sizing up baseball’s best arms for 2007

By Frank Vanderwall

Pitchers and catchers will begin reporting to Spring Training today, signaling the official start of the 2007 baseball frenzy. In just about a week, the position players will follow suit as all 30 Major League Baseball teams begin their quest for the perfect pitching rotation and batting order to march on the field this April.

Some would say that for at least these few weeks every team has a chance this season. I would strongly disagree with that statement. That’s why for the next few weeks I’m going to bring you some insight into the teams who actually have a fighting chance in a league with no salary cap. I’ll review the best starting rotations, batting orders and teams in the American and National leagues. Some of the teams who will appear in this series may surprise you. So move to the edge of your seats and prepare to get excited about the season that is still over a month away.

Since pitchers begin the slow process of permanently damaging their throwing arms this week, let’s take a look at the best starting rotations in baseball.

In the American league my top three are the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels. Hmm, what a surprise this list includes the team owned by Steinbrenner, the team competing with Steinbrenner and the team owned by Disney. Unfortunately for these teams, the past few seasons have proved that you can’t buy a World Series.

Yankees: This pitching staff is absolutely stacked. Chien-Meng Wang is their No. 1, even though he could use a little experience. But hey, who cares since they have Mike Mussina right behind him? Their offseason move to acquire Andy Pettitte just caps off the ridiculousness of their top three pitchers, who should win 15 games each. Kei Igawa looks like he’s ready to break out this year in the starting rotation, and the five spot will either belong to top prospect Phil Hughes or Carl Pavano. The Yanks really can’t lose with any of those guys. I’m sure they can find a way, though.

Red Sox: Daisuke Matsuzaka, the Red Sox’s $100 million-plus offseason import, is a big question mark in the Sox rotation. Fortunately for them, the question isn’t if he’ll be great but when. Matsuzaka joins Beckett and Schilling atop the Sox pitching rotation and may actually round out the best top three in baseball as long as they can stay healthy and pitch like they are capable. Boston’s issues come when you get to the four and five slots, currently occupied by former closer Jonathan Papelbon and knuckleballer Tim Wakefield.

Angels: I absolutely love this pitching staff and can’t wait to see what they can do if they reach their potential. Jered Weaver, John Lackey and Ervin Santana all have the potential to be studs this year on the mound. Kelvim Escobar is a big question mark, but has the potential to be a nice starting pitcher. Then there is Fatso, I mean Bartolo Colon. If Colon can stay away from the In-and-Out burger long enough to remember how to pitch, he can be great. My money’s on the food though.

Now let’s explore the National League, which, strangely enough, reminds me of the NFC in football – the best pitching staff in the NL would probably barely make the top 10 on the AL list.

Dodgers: I think I’m crazy, too, but I’m going to attempt to argue that the Dodgers have the best starting staff in the NL. Here’s why: Jason Schmidt, Derek Lowe and Brad Penny. I am still not sure that Schmidt’s past success wasn’t somehow related to a certain company whose name begins with BALCO, but he has always been good, and I see him bouncing back this season as an ace. Both Lowe and Penny won 16 games last season and should have similar success behind a much improved Dodger lineup. Randy Wolf could either be great or awful in the four hole, but as long as he attracts people dressed like werewolves to Chavez Ravine, he’ll be alright.

Padres: Greg Maddux was a huge signing. He’s still got his stuff, which he proved down the stretch last year. He will also thrive in Petco, a true pitchers’ ballpark. Maddux and David Wells give this staff veteran experience, while Chris Young, Jake Peavy, and Clay Hensley round out the staff nicely. It may be the most solid top-to-bottom staff in the NL.

Braves: John Smoltz and Tim Hudson speak for themselves. I’m still not sure if Mike Hampton will be healthy, but he’s a veteran who can still throw the ball. Behind those guys are some promising young pitchers like Kyle Davies and Chuck James. Plus, you know any pitcher who learns in Atlanta is going to be good. I give them an edge because Bobby Cox seems to know how to make things work.

Frank Vanderwall is a senior in Communications. He can be reached at [email protected].