Random Final Four Thoughts

By Lucas Deal

I was planning on using today’s column to analyze tomorrow’s Final Four games, but after claiming on Monday that, unless they choose not to try, Florida will probably repeat; I’ve decided I should probably shift my focus elsewhere.

I still could have done that story, but I just can’t see anyone beating the Gators if they play their best. They have too much talent.

Thus, I’ve decided to keep the Final Four as my topic, but I’ve shifted my focus from the games themselves to the entire event. Instead of 700 words of X and O analysis, I’ve simply decided to wing it. No more than a sentence or two on any topic, just stuff to keep an eye on.

So here we go: My thoughts and feelings on tomorrow night’s games at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.

After being overshadowed by scoring sensation Kevin Durant all year, Greg Oden will finally show the world why he’s going to be the No. 1 pick in June’s NBA draft by dominating talented, but overmatched, Georgetown center Roy Hibbert …

For the first time since, well, last year I guess, Florida head coach Billy Donovan will finally meet a coaching equal in UCLA’s Ben Howland. The SEC has some great players, but other than Donovan and Vandy’s Kevin Stallings, it’s got some knucklehead coaches …

Florida swingman Corey Brewer will complete his second consecutive tournament without meeting anyone else who plays remotely like him. He’s 6-foot-9, moves like a guard and knows how to rebound – it’s a shame Kansas forward Julian Wright got Bill Selfed out a chance to take on Brewer …

Georgetown’s John Thompson III will run back-door plays all over a clueless Thad Matta and Ohio State until Oden finally gets angry and blocks a potential Hoyas lay up into next Tuesday …

Florida and UCLA’s cheerleaders will make Georgetown and Ohio State’s cheerleaders feel thoroughly overmatched; and rightfully so …

Buckeye point guard Mike Conley Jr. will leave me speechless on crazy drives to the bucket at least three times, but it won’t be until he drives and kicks late to teammate Ron Lewis for a “dagger” three that he will truly take my breath away …

UCLA will “ugly up” its game with defense while Ohio State will simply wear ugly uniforms … (Note: I could have added a certain Florida Gator to that joke, but chose not to.)

Georgetown’s Jeff Green will prove guys with boring names don’t always have boring games – unless their name is Nick Smith …

Billy Packer will genuinely tick off the entire viewing audience during each game at least once, but won’t get in real trouble until he ticks off the entire nation of Cameroon when he mispronounces the last names of UCLA’s Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Alfred Aboya …

Patrick Ewing will be shown on TV at least five times during the Georgetown game, and each time he’s shown, he’ll look a good ten pounds heavier than the shot before …

UCLA point guard Darren Collison will flawlessly run the show for the Bruins while gracefully allowing backcourt mate Arron Afflalo to reap the benefits …

I’m starting to run out of words, so here are some other rapid fire things to watch for…

Mbah a Moute is a stat-sheet filler; check his line after the game … Just because the seniors in this thing aren’t stars doesn’t mean they want their careers to end … Teams that make the highest percentage at the line always win big games … Teams that can’t rebound never win big games …

Al Horford is better than Jo Noah … Lee Humphrey doesn’t miss open threes … Ron Lewis doesn’t miss clutch threes … Georgetown, because of their offense, doesn’t miss anything … Oden still hasn’t played a full game in this tournament …

The Hoyas beat the Buckeyes in the tournament last year … The Gators beat the Hoyas and Bruins in the tournament last year …

Teams that live by the three die by the three … Offense wins games but defense wins championships … Writers that use clich‚s are lazy …

And on that note, I think I’m done.

Oh and by the way, Buckeyes by one, Bruins by three. See you on Monday.

Lucas Deal is a senior in Communications. He can be reached at [email protected].