Another summer, another edition

Today marks the final Daily Illini summer edition. We are taking a brief break to transition to the fall staff and will resume regular publication on Aug. 20. But with a summer almost behind us, it is worth noting the best, the worst and what to look forward to.

With most students away for the summer, the Champaign City Council has continued to look at new drinking rules. A final decision, however, will be rightfully put off until they return. The University Board of Trustees has also given final approval for the long-awaited January launch of the Global Campus initiative.

The end of the summer also means the end to some of the great summer traditions like working long hours at temporary jobs and internships and tanning just because you have nothing better to do.

When students get back, they will be greeted by needed improvements to many areas around campus including Memorial Stadium, new apartment complexes and city streets (not to mention Legends’ new orange and blue paint job), along with ongoing projects around much of the community.

But more approaches us than just fall classes. The smell of pigskin beckons as our Fighting Illini look to break out of their perpetual funk. They will have to do it without several players due to legal problems and, for the first time in decades, without Chief Illiniwek.

While Quad Day and Greek rush will mark the coming of a new generation that will try to assimilate into the University, it will also surely see those who will strike out on their own.

For some who graduated after four or more years, this was their last hurrah. We want to thank several departing staff members who mean the world to us. By mentoring the young and keeping spirits high, they made coming to work at The Daily Illini a joy and privilege.

Like the summer, we know they must move on lest they lose their charm. But we will miss them.