Feeling at home at the University

By Paul Schmitt

Wide-eyed freshmen are often overwhelmed by the sheer vastness of the University. This was the case for a young political science major from Fairbury, Ill., (pop. 4,000) as he stepped out on the Quad for the first day of classes. Masses, sheer masses of people wandered to and from their respective classes – plugged into iPods, chattering via cell phones, stuffing faces with bagels or Vitamin Water. So many personalities, agendas, priorities, lifestyles, hopes and dreams represented on the cement pathway circling our majestic, grassy plain.

It was then that I was overcome by a curious sinking feeling – I could likely drop dead on this pathway, only to incur trampling by the huddled masses. Not really, I would hope. Yet, the University can be an intimidating and isolating place if you let it become so. With just over 40,000 students on this campus alone, numerous large lecture halls and overburdened teaching assistants, the Champaign-Urbana treasure can seem not quite personable at best.

What a gloomy thought – then there’s this. There is an innumerable number of opportunities to be at home at Illinois. From religious affiliation to political persuasion, each student can find a truly fitting group of individuals for support and friendship to better their personal development and shape their lives.

For me, with little time to rush to nonsense, I found home in my very residence hall. Newman Hall, or as it has unfortunately dubbed itself, “Catholic Disneyland,” has provided me a spectrum of opportunities and friendships and has inspired me to grow deeper in my faith and to work harder to reach out and help others. Moreover, the vast programs that Newman provides to nonresidents make it a truly inclusive community of just plain decent souls.

A truly exclusive community can be found in the University’s Greek system. I find the recent characterizations of the UI Greeks to be mostly unfair and unfounded. While there are some fair critiques of the UI Greek community (as there are for anything), the Greek system fosters a spirit of brother/sisterhood and ensures dependability, trust and inclusion on this campus. Additionally, the Greeks provide a home – both figuratively and literally – for nearly a quarter of University students.

Registered Student Organizations also narrow down your community via interests and goals. Whether they are service fraternities, culturally oriented or are just for those with a fall fetish, RSOs gather a sincerely compatible group of future friends to celebrate what their hearts desire. Getting involved on campus can be a rewarding experience for those students who choose to give their time and talents to a worthy cause.

Cultural houses further gather students of a particular origin together to celebrate the high points of their respective cultures. Students who choose to participate in these programs should enthusiastically share their talents and traditions with each other and also with the campus at large. With the diversity present on campus, the University has the potential to be the most culturally vibrant and rich campus in the Midwest should these programs expand and flourish.

All in all, these groups allow students to branch out and find themselves in a densely populated Campustown. Whether it’s an ethnically oriented group you’re looking for or if you’re just hoping to get a thrill out of Catholic Disneyland’s liturgical version of “Splash Mountain,” there truly is a home for all students at the University. Be encouraged to work hard for or at something. Speak out on issues that are important to you, but moreover, make the University of Illinois your own.