We can work it out and get it straight; there’s a chance that we may fall apart before too long…

By Brenda Kay Zylstra

Across the ocean wide and snuggled amidst countries of heavier repute lies a nation imperiled. Belgium, that tiny European kingdom of waffles and beer, is in danger of disintegration. Since the June elections the government has been in limbo, unable to form coalitions. Calls for separation, which interminably cycle in and out of popularity in these parts, have grown louder than ever. The latest round of cries hails from the North. The Flemish increasingly resent their healthy economy subsidizing their southern counterparts, the Walloons. During the Industrial Revolution, the Walloons’ economy flourished (as did their superior Francophile demeanor) while the Flemish’s floundered. Now the tables have turned – Wallonia’s unemployment is twice that of Flanders. Can this marriage be saved?

A little background: Belgium is comprised of Dutch-speaking Flanders (the Flemish) and French-speaking Wallonia (the Walloons), as well as the progeny of their amalgamation, bilingual Brussels. The two communities have existed side by side since Charlemagne’s Holy Roman Empire in the ninth century, but only became an official nation in 1839. Belgian soil saw action from both World Wars and is one of the six founding members of what is now referred to as the European Union. In addition to its 10.5 million citizens, Belgium is home to headquarters of all three branches of the European Union and NATO.

All this has given Belgium an intrinsic international flavor. Three official languages (Dutch, French and German), two linguistically distinct cultures under one government, Belgians forging together through centuries of foreign rule (first Spain, then Austria, then France and finally the U.K.). It’s no wonder Brussels is commonly considered Europe’s capital, or that the EU would choose to conduct its business, almost exclusively, in a place that exemplifies its motto, “United in Diversity.”

Belgium’s gifts extend beyond hosting the world’s diplomats and dignitaries. Belgians have bequeathed our palettes with the improperly named French fry, decadent Godiva chocolate, smooth Stella Artois. You can also thank (or blame) Belgium for colonialism’s ever-present representative in 12th grade English, Joseph “Oh the horror” Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness,” everyone’s favorite cockney flower girl Audrey Hepburn and the Formula One World Championship Belgian Grand Prix.

Belgium is a microcosm of the EU, and it represents the best of what it aspires to: diversity, respect, understanding cultural differences. Belgium is proof, albeit on a small scale, of greater values winning out over petty differences. Of these it shares more than it knows. A recent Europe-wide study conducted by Louvain University on the value attitudes of Europeans found that Belgians have more in common with each other than either their French or Dutch neighbors. Underneath it all, a pan-Belgian perspective and culture does exist, as do real problems. But like its strengths, Belgium’s problems mirror that of the EU – too much bureaucracy, lack of transparency, democratic deficiency. The government is a complicated blend of constitutional popular monarchy and parliamentary democracy, difficult to say, much less comprehend. It is set up in a three-tired federation with various intricacies to assure that each cultural community is adequately represented. Splitting up would likely only magnify those problems, as unlinking the economy and various policies would create massive confusion, not to mention the minor problem of dividing the $300 billion national debt.

Xavier Vanden Bosch writes in the Economist, “It is one thing for a region to fight for its cultural identity, but quite another to encourage a rejection of someone else’s language and mores.” Belgium demonstrates to other separatists – Scotland, Corsica, Basque – a path to follow through the disagreements. The possibility of successful negotiation among those who are sometimes fiercely nationalistic or regionalistic, without shedding a drop of blood.

Conceivably, this lesson resonates beyond the EU. From the sandbox to the boardroom, cooperation and compromise are invaluable tools not just for survival, but for happiness. If Belgium’s current representatives fail to utilize these tools and form a coalition soon, we’ll all lose something.