Black people almost ‘there’

By Paul Cruse III

In the Tuesday, April 22 edition of The Daily Illini, a column by Paul Cruse III incorrectly stated that the Jena Six were charged with second-degree murder. They were initially charged with attempted murder.

The Daily Illini regrets the error.

The following is the column as it appeared in print that day.

Often blacks talk about how we are almost “there.” “There” is the universal utopia for African Americans. “There” is the state at which blacks are no longer seen as second-class citizens and where there is a representative amount of political, economic and social equality among the races. On his now-canceled HBO show, Chris Rock did a segment where he mapped the progress blacks had made since the end of slavery. I’m now taking it upon myself to update the list where he left off, focusing on the fall 2007 semester on.

Crank that Soulja Boy:

Like a bad rash, rap artist Soulja Boy Tell ‘Em created the most infectious song and dance combination since the Macarena. There have been a plethora of YouTube videos documenting everyone from infant toddlers stumbling over the steps to white suburban cheerleaders incorporating the dance moves into their halftime performances. Who says white people can’t dance? And don’t get me started on all of the spin-offs: “Crank That Lion King,” “Crank That Batman,” the list goes on. (I am still waiting on the white-person spin-off to come out, like “Crank that Abercrombie” or “Crank that Ultimate Frisbee”). Four steps forward for the Soulja Boy’s horribly simple song.

Michael Vick arrested for dogfighting:

Former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was charged with a felony for being involved in dogfighting. But the biggest disappointment came in America’s response. Though I agree that dogfighting is a horrible sport and by no means condone it, let’s keep things in perspective. Dogs are animals just like cows or chickens. Yes, dogs are called “man’s best friends,” but that’s more because of culture and evolution. The average American consumes 230 pounds of meat a year; this meat comes from slaughterhouses that aren’t the most diligent followers of animal cruelty laws. In 2007, there were close to 1,900 animal cruelty cases, yet I haven’t heard any more uproar about these atrocities. We go back two steps for Vick’s involvement, but blacks go back another three steps for Americans’ hypocritical response. (I am sure going to miss Vick in “Madden NFL ’09.”)

Kanye West sells more albums than 50 Cent:

In a giant step away from the misogynistic and violent lyrics of “gangsta” rap, political musician Kanye West went toe-to-toe with the infamously successful 50 Cent and as of now, has sold close to half a million more albums than his competitor. 50 Cent’s album has been rated average, repetitive and even horrible by some music critics. Looks like America’s saying, “Keep the change.” Another six steps forward for Kanye’s (and hip-hop’s) victory and for the artists keeping the battle on the sales charts and off the streets.

The Jena Six:

Six young men initially charged with second-degree murder for what was basically a schoolyard fight. The district attorney agrees to lower the charges to battery, but only because of the public outcry that came from the black community. This is just another case of what Boyce Watkins calls the “Jena Symptom,” where black men are overtly targeted and excessively charged in our justice system. According to Human Rights Watch reports, black men are given 13-15 percent longer sentences than whites for the same crimes. That’s seven steps back due to the injustice in our justice system.

The Jena Six protest:

Though we came together in protest, we came together nonetheless. College students, political activists and celebrities all unified to rally for the Jena Six. We proved that blacks can still get together for a positive cause and have a peaceful protest. But according to Louisiana District Attorney Reed Walters, “Jesus Christ” is to thank for the peaceful protests, not the protesters who remained responsible. I guess it is a miracle when a bunch of crazy, dangerous, urban black folks get together and nothing bad happens. Eight steps forward for those who took time out of their lives to stand up for justice, peacefully (Thanks, JC).

Tune in next Tuesday for part two where I talk more about black progress. Can you say, “Barack Obama”?

Paul is a junior in computer and political science and is definitely no Chris Rock.