Blackhawks will bring dignity back to Chicago

By Ryan Dixon

Only one thing has been able to lessen the pain from the White Sox recent playoff departure. No, it’s not the Illini. It’s not even the first-place Bears. It’s that Friday is opening night for the Chicago Blackhawks.

Brace yourself, Chicago sports fans. This is the year. And I’m not talking about anything similar to that teaser season in 2001-2002, when the Blackhawks didn’t even show up in a first-round loss to the Blues. I’m talking about a serious playoff push for a franchise immersed in young talent.

So here are some reasons why you should watch the Chicago Blackhawks this season:

1. You can!

Until late last season, the Blackhawks’ home games were not televised in the Chicagoland area. You see, former owner Bill Wirtz (God rest his soul) had the crazy idea that preventing TV exposure of his team would somehow boost ticket sales by forcing fans to attend games if they wanted to see hockey.

Well, Wirtz passed away near the end of last season. Coincidentally, the Hawks began airing home games on Comcast Sports Net. This season, nearly every game will be on TV, with 20 games on WGN.

2. Pat Foley

You haven’t listened to a hockey game until you’ve heard it from the heavenly voice of Pat Foley. After letting him go for the ’06-’07 season, the Hawks realized how badly they needed Foley back – so they got him back. Foley’s knowledge of hockey and its athletes is enhanced by his innate ability to call a game. I admit it. I might have a man-crush.

3. Youth

It’s true. I’m older than both Blackhawks’ Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. But that’s not going to stop them from pushing the Hawks over the edge this year. Chicago missed the playoffs by three points last season but finished with a 40-34-8 record. Toews scored 24 goals and recorded 30 assists in his rookie season for the Hawks. Not to be outdone, the 19-year-old Kane led last year’s team with 72 points (21 goals, 51 assists). Is it scary that these two will probably be on the same line for the next 15 years?

4. Weak Western Conference

Besides the fact that the Red Wings are a lock to win the Central Division this year, the rest of the conference is arguably up for grabs. The Blues and Blue Jackets, like the Hawks, are franchises on the rise. Every divisional match up among these teams looks to be an exciting one. The Hawks went 19-11-2 against their division last year. If they want to make a serious playoff run, they’ll have to continue to beat up on those familiar opponents.

5. Things can only get better

If you combine all of my prior reasoning, you can only reach one conclusion – the Chicago Blackhawks are going to be one heck of an exciting team this year. The Hawks are a far-improved organization since ESPN named them the worst franchise in professional sports in 2004.

Don’t believe me? Then take a look at some of this year’s key additions.

Chicago added goaltender Cristobal Huet and defenseman Brian Campbell in the offseason. Huet went 32-14-6 with a .920 save percentage last year in his time split between Montreal and Washington.

Campbell grabbed 62 points last season with Buffalo and San Jose. He is expected to be one of the premier leaders on the Hawks’ power play unit this season.

So, before your plans Friday night, eat some dinner while watching the Hawks/Rangers game.

Not only will the game be the first step toward the Hawks’ “one goal,” but it will be a great way to kick off the weekend.

(Note: “One goal” is one of the Hawks’ advertising campaigns this season).

Ryan Dixon is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected]