Obama’s election just the beginning

By Paul Cruse III

As you know, Barack Obama has won the election and is now our president-elect.

For many of us, this is a time of great of joy and celebration. On election night, hundreds of students flocked to Green Street and then partied around the Alma Mater, all in celebration of this great time in history. And at the same time people all over the world were celebrating with us.

But now that the celebration is over, it is time to get to work. By work, I don’t mean studying for our midterms; I mean it is time to start working to get America back on track.

America is still the greatest country in the world, and by no means am I saying the past eight years have taken away that title, though it has blemished it. But whether you are a liberal, moderate or conservative, you have to admit that America needs some improvement.

As the old cliche goes, we are the future. And now that task has fallen upon us. We are the next business leaders, politicians, inventors, engineers and professors.

As Obama said during his acceptance speech, it will take time and cooperation. Every American has worked hard during this election.

Whether you were campaigning for Obama or McCain, you took time out of your day to promote your candidate, debunk false accusations and attempt to convince people to vote.

Even on DailyIllini.com, people left multiple comments that were the equivalent of a two page paper.

It is time to harness that drive and put it toward improving America.

You may be asking how can I, a student, help America? Well, the obvious way is volunteering, but many of us just do not have the time or resources to do that.

We have tests to study for, jobs and internships to interview for, and graduate schools to which he have to apply. But there is more that we can do to help America.

First, we can start being more conscientious of our energy consumption.

If you’re not using your laptop, unplug it and turn it off. Instead of driving, walk to class or take the bus if it is cold outside.

We can also start living within our means. Many students have loans, but many of us are “maxing” those loans.

Yes, you have money to spend, but that money will have to be paid back eventually.

It is people who have been living outside their means that has put America in its current economic condition.

In addition to what we can do in the present, what we do in future is just as important. As stated earlier, we are the next workforce of America.

If you head a corporation, practice good business ethics.

Don’t give out predatory loans to people who won’t be able to afford it.

To all my future lawyers, the law isn’t meant to be exploited but rather interpreted in way that is most fair to all Americans.

Remember, the things that you do in the courtroom can set precedent and shape America’s ideology about what is right and wrong.

And engineers, always work hard to develop eco-friendly products and processes.

It may not be as cost effective or as efficient now, but remember that we are nothing without a healthy planet to live on.

I say to all the Illinois students who will undoubtedly be the future leaders of this country and the world: Let Obama be a testament to what is possible and an example of how to accomplish our goals.

But don’t sit on your butts and expect him to fix everything for you.

Don’t keep living your life as if there is nothing you can do because if you are not part of the solution, then you certainly are part of the problem.

Paul is a senior in computer and political science and hopes eBayers will stop sending him items in outrageously large, non-recyclable boxes.