Obama’s not stimulating anyone – at least not yet

By Lynne McMillan

President Obama attempted to make campaign promises of bipartisanship materialize last week with his latest effort titled, “Make the Republicans look like I care.” Obama’s visit to Capitol Hill to talk with congressional Republicans about his $819 billion economic “stimulus” package was nothing more than a publicity stunt to make him appear to be the voice of reason in a town polarized by political affiliation.

Upon his visit, Obama was immediately praised for his efforts to reach across the aisle to work out the differences between Republicans and Democrats on the bill. However, not one bit of “working out the differences” actually happened.

After his trip up Constitution Avenue, Obama stated, “I hope that we can all put politics aside and do the American people’s business right now.”

Translation: I hope Republicans can put their politics aside (for which they were elected) to make me look like a hero in my first 100 days. Mission failed.

The Democratic economic “stimulus” package passed through the House of Representatives with not one single Republican voting for the measure.

While Democrats will chalk up the lack of support to good old partisan politics, the true cause of the nay votes is the blatant flaws in the bill that will do little to help the economy recover from the current recession.

First of all, the bill will provide little, if any, economic stimulus at all. A more appropriate name for the legislation would be the biggest spending bill our nation has ever seen.

The primary purpose of any stimulus plan should be to create jobs and put more money in the pockets of the American consumer.

Corporate and individual income tax cuts would accomplish this; frivolous and excessive government spending will not.

The legislation is loaded with some of the most ridiculous pork barrel spending ever to pass through the House. Items such as $650 million for digital television converter coupons, $1 billion for the federal money pit Amtrak, $400 million for sexually transmitted disease research, and my personal favorite, $600 million for the government to buy new cars.

While any business for the auto industry might help push back their bankruptcy filing date, will replacing the government’s fleet do anything to create jobs or increase disposable income?

Less than 9 percent of the $819 billion will go to fund worthwhile New Deal-type projects such as rebuilding infrastructure and improving broadband and electric grid development, but most of these projects will not even start until 2010.

I predict that by then we will have realized this “stimulus” created nothing of the sort.

The $20 billion appropriated for business tax cuts will do little to help the companies laying off tens of thousands of workers by the week.

The crux of the U.S. economy is private enterprise, which is essentially ignored by this monstrosity of legislation.

The only people directly benefiting from this package will be those receiving the combined $30 billion increase in spending on food stamps, public housing and welfare payments.

Any reasonable economist will tell you that this is not the socioeconomic demographic that is going to turn around the consumer spending slump.

Finally, Democrats don’t seem at all worried about how we are going to pay for this governmental spending spree, which is shocking coming from the campaign that constantly preached of the future atrocities that will result from our ever-escalating national debt. In fact, this bill will create a startling $10,000 in debt for each and every American family.

So exactly how is the government going to pay for this? I’ll give you a hint: The plan starts with running every U.S. mint at full speed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and ends with people such as you and me working until we are 94.

If passed by the Senate, the Democrat’s “40-Year Wish List,” as described by the Wall Street Journal, will only add to the $11 trillion reality our generation will be forced to pay back and will, unfortunately, see very little benefit from.

I would volunteer to call Senator Burris myself to complain, but I am guessing he is probably still busy consoling his buddy Blago.

Lynne is a senior in Business and is more pessimistic than usual today.