An atheist’s advice on what to give up for Lent

By Amy Allen

I’m not a Catholic, but I’ve always been intrigued by the tradition of Lent. I’m already planning my indulgences (no pun intended) for Fat Tuesday. But gluttony aside, I’m also deciding what to give up for the “40-day long liturgical season” that precedes Easter. However, true to type, I had an easier time pointing out others’ flaws than my own. So in that spirit, here is a list of suggested sacrifices that certain people could make.

1. The Treasury:

Someone give this message to the priest at the National Cathedral when Timothy Geithner comes in: The department of the Treasury and economic policy makers at the White House need to give up bailouts. In the summer of 2008, Congress passed the Foreclosure Prevention Act and followed up with the Troubled Asset Relief Program in the fall. Now, Congress has passed another bailout to aid the housing market. When will the leaky boat that represents the economy finally be allowed to sink? If the good people making policy for the world’s largest economy could go just 40 days without demanding taxpayers’ money to rescue those who have made bad decisions … maybe the economy would rise from the dead on April 12.

2. Bank executives:

The time has come for great sacrifices by the American people. So for Lent, expect executives at once-successful companies to start paring in the luxury department. Yes, John Thain, that means you. The gilded thirty $35,000 antique that the former Bank of America executive claims was a cupboard, and not, in fact, a toilet, has to go. Citi executives, give up your hope of getting your name on the next home of the Mets. It’s TARP stadium now.

3. Obama’s cabinet nominees:

Give up scandal. First, there was Timothy Geithner, the individual who would be responsible for the monetary policy for the entire country but couldn’t do his taxes. Then there was Tom Daschle, to whom it never occurred that the IRS would be interested in knowing about the limousine and driver he accepted as a gift. Somewhere in between was Bill Richardson, the would-be commerce secretary who had some commerce of his own with which federal investigators were interested. After that was Judd Gregg, who expressed doubts about the economic policies of the administration. Covering up a scandal of his own that was about to be revealed, no doubt. Would 40 days without hogging the limelight with their dubious histories be too much to ask of Obama’s cabinet nominees? I’m sure the president would appreciate the down time.

4.Facebook users everywhere:

The “25 things” meme. It would be unreasonable to expect Facebook users to give up narcissism completely (then they might as well give up their accounts), but this annoying display of personal quirks is starting to grate. A 40-day reprieve without mentions in my news digest or notifications of tags would be much appreciated, and I’m sure many others feel the same way. On Easter Sunday, we’ll be happy to read about your bad experiences in middle school (No. 7) or that you used to think you were adopted (No. 12).

5. Speakers of the English language:

Adding “ness” to the ends of words. Sometimes nouns just elude you – that’s understandable. But a 40-day reprieve from references to “awesomeness” or “coolness” would be nice. If you’re using a word outside of its legitimate context in the first place, don’t try to change its part of speech, too. Celebrate Fat Tuesday by doctoring adjectives into nouns as much as you like. Until April 12, you’ll be stuck with the awkward diction of those who can’t change a word’s part of speech to suit their purpose.

After the upcoming 40 days of discipline and probity, I’m sure the people listed above will be happy to go back to their sinful ways. But I’m satisfied with any holiday that gives me an excuse to tell others what to do, no matter the time limit.

Amy is a freshman in math, and she is giving up advice giving for Lent.