Adding another state school to Big Ten infeasible

Students in the state of Illinois don’t have enough options. 

Because of limited resources at the University, many of the state’s best students must go to Big Ten institutions out of state to get a quality public education: the University of Iowa, Purdue University, the Ohio State University, etc.

To combat this problem, state senators Matt Murphy, R-Palatine, and Michael Connelly, R-Naperville, have asked the state legislature to look into the feasibility of upgrading the status of one of the current state schools to a Big Ten institution. 

Although the Big Ten has an interest in expansion, which is an admirable goal, none of the current state schools are anywhere near the quality of a Big Ten university — athletically or academically.

Historically, Big Ten institutions are members of the Association of American Universities, an association of 62 of the top research universities in the United States and Canada. 

And, according to U.S. News and World Report, all Big Ten public universities rank in the top 50 public universities in the nation. Northwestern University, a private institution, is ranked 12th in the overall national rankings.

Of Illinois’ other public schools, the University of Illinois at Chicago ranks highest: No. 128 in the national rankings — indicating it is not as academically qualified. 

In the past three years, the Big Ten has expanded from 11 schools to 14, adding the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, the University of Maryland and Rutgers University, all of which were AAU members at the time they were added. 

The most recent additions to the Big Ten have also been partly selected because of their proximity to large media markets — Maryland to Washington D.C. and Rutgers to New York City — and the potential revenue the conference could make by establishing the Big Ten Network in those markets.

Although UIC and Northern Illinois University are in the Chicago market, neither school has a following that could rival any of the current Big Ten institutions, and both would have to establish themselves in the country’s third largest media market. Southern Illinois University could possibly get into the St. Louis market. 

None of the other Illinois schools are in a top media market.

The Big Ten also plays football at the highest level and is one of, if not the best, basketball conferences in the country.

The only other public Illinois school with a major football program is NIU; however, its basketball program is among the worst in the state. No other university’s basketball team could compete with Big Ten programs. 

Murphy and Connelly have good intentions, and if another public Illinois university met the academic and athletic standards that the Big Ten prides itself on, then the addition would likely be feasible and possibly even beneficial. 

But, with the athletic and academic limitations of other public in-state institutions, adding another to the Big Ten is not a worthy endeavor.