New flags not the best way to represent diversity

On April 2, $6,800 was allocated by the Illinois Student Senate toward purchasing three world flags as a way to represent the diversity found at the University; these three flags will be placed at the Activities and Recreation Center, Campus Recreation Center East and the Ice Arena.  

While the flags would be aesthetically appealing, they don’t seem truly necessary to promote a diverse environment. These funds could be better spent on programs that actually promote diversity on our campus by getting people together and talking about the subject, as opposed to simply presenting an image of the University as diverse. 

Flags do not have the same effect as a program like I-Connect, which is a workshop designed around teaching students how to communicate, collaborate and learn in diverse environments. By taking part in this mandatory workshop, students are able to have discussions about inclusivity and learn about embracing other cultures firsthand.

Additional funding and promotion of the I-Connect program and others like it could help students embrace and acknowledge campus diversity while also challenging students to make the necessary changes that would make the University a more inclusive environment. 

During #OneCampus: Moving Beyond Digital Hate, an event that addressed the impact social media has on the way people interact following the Twitter attacks on Chancellor Wise, there was a resounding theme: Talks like these have to continue in order for the University to truly be an inclusive campus — one that accepts individuals from all backgrounds. 

Putting up flags around campus, however, does not aid in actually becoming an “Inclusive Illinois” especially because the purpose of the flags is not particularly overt. 

Individuals looking at the flags wouldn’t necessarily come to the conclusion that these flags are meant to represent the diversity of the University. Placing these flags at the ARC, CRCE and the Ice Arena would ultimately only serve decorative purposes. 

There are better ways to represent the culture that is present at the University than through three individual flags.

First and foremost, our campus community should focus on teaching and promoting inclusivity through various programs and workshops, and then we can rightfully represent our diversity outwardly to the world. 

One step shouldn’t be taken without the other, and after witnessing the remarks made about the Chancellor, it’s clear we have a long way to go before the purchase of these flags can be made and have them truly signify what they are meant to convey.