A new mascot is better than no mascot

On Feb. 21, 2007, Chief Illiniwek performed his last official dance associated with the University of Illinois.

The Board of Trustees then retired the 81-year-old mascot as a result of the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s 2005 decision that the Chief’s portrayal of American Indian imagery was offensive.

Ever since, the University has been mascot-less. And we think that should change.

Though the former mascot’s elimination has been controversial, it is firm, as Phyllis Wise reminded students in the letter she published in The Daily Illini in March 2013. 

Additionally, the University’s decision to drop Chief Illiniwek, who Native American groups have called demeaning, aligns with its values of inclusivity. This value demands the maintenance of a dignified and respectful environment at the University. 

As a University, we must accept that Chief Illiniwek isn’t coming back. Opponents can do little to alter the motivation behind the decision to retire him, regardless of how adamantly they argue or how plentiful they congregate.

What we can do, however, is move forward toward a universal form of representation we can collectively value — one that excludes and offends no one.

Currently, we’re the Fighting Illini. 

Our T-shirts are marked with “I’s”, and our sporting events are void of any figurehead. We don’t have a Brutus Buckeye or Herbie the Husker to dawn our apparel or pick us up when we’re down.

But our lack of mascot pervades clothing and sports.

Mascots symbolize togetherness. They’re depictions of the visions and values held by schools. Though students may come from different places and have different backgrounds and beliefs, mascots are something that everyone associated with a school can share.

In recent years, this unity is something we’ve lacked at the University, as sporting stands and stadiums have often sat empty and cultural controversies continue to arise — perpetuating a divide among students.

And though adopting a new mascot won’t fix these issues immediately or entirely, it’s a great place to start.

In 2013, Campus Spirit Revival established a contest to search for a new University representation with no avail, as the majority of students who participated still favored the former Chief Illiniwek. 

But now, with the return of an improved Alma Mater and the recent expressions from students who say that Chief Illiniwek offends and exclude them, the timing seems right.

With these things upon us, we should finally let go of the past and embrace the future together.

We should hold true to another value of the University and strive to control our destiny. We should choose a new mascot.