Competition ineffective to reduce energy consumption in residence halls

Six University residence halls are taking part in a three-week competition, which will end on April 20, to help conserve energy and water use on campus. The Eco-Olympics have the right goals in mind; conserving energy and water in residence halls is a worthy cause that can have a substantial environmental impact.

However, the Eco-Olympics are trying to bolster environmental consciousness by pitting the dorms against each other for a short-lived period of time instead of promoting permanent green habits that will perpetuate beyond a three-week stint. 

Currently, five of the dorms competing have made negative savings thus far in terms of environmental impact, so the competition isn’t fueling complete success in regards to changing habits to be eco-friendly. 

While competition won’t necessarily motivate all students to unplug chargers, turn off lights and avoid using air conditioning, a changed housing cost might.

In the past six years, energy use in residence halls has fallen 28 percent, yet housing prices have continued to rise. For an even greater impact, students should receive financial benefits from reducing their individual environmental impact — the current prize for the winners of the Eco-Olympics is a trophy and a catered party. 

Beyond this point, there is no real incentive for developing permanent environmentally-conscious living habits, which are important in maintaining a healthy environment.

At the University, housing is already too expensive, costing $10,636 — the third-highest rate among current Big Ten schools and third-highest rate in the state of Illinois. 

If students are expected to help reduce costs for the University through less energy use, then the University should help reduce housing costs for students. 

When you live in an apartment on campus, for example, the cost for living is less than that of living in the dorms. And while living in apartments, students’ habits are often greener for the sake that they are more aware of what resources they are using because of monthly payments.

Students in apartments are motivated financially — through water and electric bills — to reduce their environmental impact. 

Granted, this is not to say that students in University housing ought to see a monthly water and electric bill to promote eco-friendliness, but they should be paying a cost that is equitable to greener living practices that extends beyond a few weeks.

The Eco-Olympics are a good step, and its goals of reducing the energy used by residence halls will help benefit the environment and the University in the long run. 

But the University won’t become more environmentally conscious until students see the benefits of reducing their water and energy beyond a short-lived prize so they can extend these skills to a lifetime.