A very early recap of the MLB season

By Erik Prado

It’s been almost a month since the first pitch of the 2014 Major League Baseball season was thrown in front of a crowd of 38,266 in Australia. Since then the hottest team in baseball has been the Milwaukee Brewers.

Yeah, baseball is a funky sport, especially early in the season.

The Brew Crew has an 11-4 record thanks to three straight sweeps over Boston, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Carlos Gomez has been playing out of his mind with his current batting average of .328.

Will the Brewers keep their play up? It is way, way too early to say. However, they can take some solace in knowing that last year Boston followed a disastrous 2012 campaign with a similar hot start last season. Everyone knows how Boston ended the year.

The Red Sox themselves are currently three games below .500 and last in the AL East. They’ll recover eventually, because they have to. They’re Boston. The talent there is poised to make a strong repeat attempt.

But this being Champaign, a good majority of the University’s student population is either a Cubs or a White Sox fan.

The Sox have pleasantly gotten off to a respectable start. Their offense is showing it will be miles ahead of last year’s dismal performance. Newcomer Adam Eaton is showing a grinding attitude not seen in the Sox in a couple of years.

José Abreu appears to be the real deal. He has four home runs, with two multi-homer games. But he has fallen back to earth as his average has dropped to .217. Be patient with him Sox fans.

Chris Sale anchors a respectable rotation, although Felipe Paulino is pitching his way out of a job. The same holds true for a bullpen that, minus Daniel Webb, cannot consistently get anyone out.

An 8-7 records for the Pale Hose doesn’t sound exciting, but it’s better than the North Siders, who currently sit at 4-10 with one of baseball’s worst offenses.

Year Three of Theo Epstein looks to be the same as the previous two. Lots of losses are in the forecast. However, it’s not like the Cubs lack talent. They do, after all, have Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro.

All this losing will give way to more exciting times. The Cubs farm system is stacked with developing talent, namely Javier Baez, Kris Bryant and Albert Almora.

But that’s it. Other than Opening Day, attendance at Wrigley has been low. The Cubs are used to selling out games, even during losing seasons. That seemingly will not be the case this year.

I’m truly curious to know how long Cubs fans will accept Epstein’s approach to building a team. If Rick Hahn’s rebuilding on the South Side produces quicker results, will Cubs fans change their attitude and demand faster results?

Fortunately (or unfortunately for some), baseball will be on the back burner until June. The Blackhawks kick off their quest to defend The Cup and will unite Chicago. The Bulls may even surprise in the NBA playoffs.

If and when the Hawks’ and Bulls’ seasons are over, Chicago will go back to watching one mediocre and one horrific baseball team.

Hope you’re excited for the summer, everyone.

Erik is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @e_prada.