Rehabilitation should allow for job opportunities

On Tuesday, the American Association of University Professors sent a letter to Chancellor Phyllis Wise recommending that James Kilgore, a lecturer in Global Studies and part-time staff member with the Center for African Studies, have his contract renewed. 

Kilgore’s contract for the 2014-15 academic year was not renewed by the University, and he was not given a reason why, according to the letter. 

In recent months, various media outlets such as the News-Gazette and Chicago Sun-Times have brought Kilgore’s status as a former felon and member of the Symbionese Liberation Army into the light, criticizing the University for letting someone who had been associated with murder, terrorism and other violent crimes serve as an instructor at the University. 

Since the articles have been published, the University has faced pressure to release Kilgore.

The Daily Illini chose not to report on Kilgore’s status as a former felon because we did not believe that his status was news. Kilgore’s status as an instructor was no different than any other instructor.

Kilgore was arrested, served his time and was, by all of society’s rules, rehabilitated, so there is no reason he should not be allowed to teach. 

In a March 22 Chicago Sun-Times article, campus spokeswoman Robin Kaler said: “He does a great job. He’s very well-respected among students. He served his time in prison. He is very remorseful. He didn’t do the shooting. He is a good example of someone who has been rehabilitated, if you believe in second chances and redemption, he’s someone who helps prove that’s the human thing to do. A child of the victim said he has served his time and should be allowed to go on with his life.” 

What, then, has changed in the last month? Because Kilgore was released from prison after serving his time, he should ultimately be fit to do his job. Why does a crime that someone committed in the past, that they have served their punishment for, disallow them from a job? 

If this is the way we treat former criminals, then it puts into question why prisons attempt to reintegrate them into society if they are going to be refused from jobs they have worked to attain. 

If prisoners supposedly can’t move on, live their lives and contribute to society, then why ever let them out?

These are all questions and concerns that this particular case brings to the forefront.

The University seems to be folding under political pressure and punishing a man for committing a crime he has already paid for and been rehabilitated from. The University needs to respect the laws society has in place. The University should let Kilgore have his second chance and continue his contributions to his job.