Random College Football Thoughts: Week Two

Michigan State safety Kurtis Drummond (27) urges on the crowd before a crucial stop on fourth down during the fourth quarter against Stanford in the 100th Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., Jan. 1, 2014. Michigan State won, 34-24. (Jarrad Henderson/Detroit Free Press/MCT)

Raise your hand if you correctly predicted the Idaho Vandals would be entering week two of its season undefeated after opening against the Florida Gators. In The Swamp.

The Gators and Vandals did indeed play, but only managed one kickoff before the game was suspended due to the weather and poor field conditions. This was on the heels of a nearly three hour delay. On that single play, the Vandals surrendered a 64-yard return. 

It had been nearly seven years since a game had been suspended at The Swamp, so of course it had to happen during the opening week. 

But none of us were going to watch Florida take on a team that went 1-11 last season.  

No, we were all watching Florida State take on Oklahoma State in Dallas. It was a close affair in Jerry World, as the Seminoles edged out the 37-31 win. 

The biggest takeaway? Florida State is not invincible. 

Despite the hopes of his detractors, Winston did not miss the game for stealing crab legs, but did rely on his legs for a spectacular 28-yard touchdown run in the third. He put up his stats, but not in the same dominating fashion he displayed out of the gate in 2013. Winston’s two interceptions on Saturday were as many as he had thrown through week four of last season. 

Expect the Seminoles to be involved in many close games this year. It is very, very hard for teams to go undefeated in one season, let alone two. For as cliche as it is, every team will give it its all to deny the Seminoles a chance at repeating. 

Spartans can make a loud statement

There are a handful of great matchups this weekend, from USC-Stanford to Ohio State hosting Virginia Tech, but none are bigger than No. 7 Michigan State visiting Autzen Stadium to take on No. 3 Oregon in the first September weekend. 

Could there be a better early season matchup? Everyone knows how fast Oregon plays and how good a defense the Spartans field. Each team also wears a shade of green, but it’s anyone’s guess if Oregon will actually don green. 

Don’t be fooled by how different these teams play. This game carries much more weight than any nonconference game. It could decide who makes the College Football Playoff. 

A Spartans’ victory Saturday, added with a Big Ten championship, would almost guarantee the team a spot. But a loss dramatically reduces its chances, because outside of Oregon, its schedule is not difficult. 

Ohio State can challenge in November or Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game, but the Buckeyes’ offensive line was a mess against Navy, and Melvin Gordon of the Badgers is now battling a hip injury. Both teams’ seasons can take dramatic turns in the coming weeks.

The Spartans have much more to lose than Oregon because the Ducks can lose, win out and still secure a playoff spot because the PAC-12 is a stronger conference than the Big Ten. 

The end of a rivalry, for now

The Michigan-Notre Dame rivalry started in 1887 and Saturday’s game has the potential to be historic because it is the last scheduled matchup between the two teams who’ve had annual games (with the exception of three

seasons) for more than 125 years. 

Both of these programs are in a gray area. Brian Kelly’s team has not matched his 2012 BCS runner up squad (yet), while Brady Hoke is on the hot seat, with many outsiders begging Michigan to become elite again. The Big Ten is reeling in the public eye, and nothing would please traditionalists more than a rejuvenated Wolverines team. 

But this game doesn’t scream “important” in the grand scheme. Too many other teams are just as talented, if not more talented, than the Irish and Wolverines. It also doesn’t help that Irish players keep getting kicked off the team. 

The Irish are ranked at  No. 16, and this is before they embark on a five-game stretch where they face three ranked opponents, including top-ranked defending champion Florida State. 

At the end of the game, one reminder should stand out: how the 2000s and 2010s have been unfavorable to two historic programs. Notre Dame and Michigan combined have gone 1-7 in the eight BCS bowl games the programs have made since 2000. 

Erik is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @e_prada