New season, same problems for the Bears

New season, same problems for the Bears

Well it’s safe to say that could have gone better, a lot better.

An overtime loss at home to the Buffalo Bills is obviously not how the Bears and their fans envisioned the start to the season. What’s worse is the way it happened.

More bad defense, more poor decisions from quarterback Jay Cutler and more unimpressive special teams. 

After an offseason filled with several flashy defensive signings, declarations that Cutler could contend for league MVP, and endless expectations, the Bears looked awfully pedestrian in their season opener.

Perhaps all that excitement and buildup was for nothing? Let’s hope not.

There were still some bright spots the team can build off of. The offense scored easily on its first drive of the game led by Cutler who put on a clinic and went 4-for-4, including a 12-yard touchdown pass to tight end Martellus Bennett to cap the drive. Sadly, this was the best the offense would look all day.

Running back Matt Forte seemed to be in midseason form already. He essentially carried the offense in the second half by both receiving and rushing the ball exceptionally well. He finished the game with more than 160 total yards.

The defense wasn’t horrible. In theory, they played good enough to win. That’s more than could have been said about them for a majority of the losses last season. The unit came up with a timely interception that led to a touchdown and did well to hold Buffalo to field goals after being forced to defend a short field due to some turnovers by the offense.

However, in the end, it just wasn’t good enough.

The overtime period was pretty depressing for the Bears on both sides of the ball.

Chicago was gifted the first possession of the period after winning the coin toss, but was unable to do anything with the ball. The offense just seemed to be out of sync and ended up having to punt after gaining just one first down on the short drive.

What ensued next on the defensive side of the ball was even more disheartening. The Bills took the ball and ran it down the Bears’ throats.

Literally. Well, almost literally.

On the third-to-last play of the game, Buffalo running back Fred Jackson busted through the line of scrimmage for a 38-yard run to the Bears’ 1-yard line. He finished off his run with a ferocious stiff-arm to the throat of Bears’ safety Chris Conte, knocking him to the ground like a practice dummy. Buffalo kicked a field goal two plays later to win the game.

After the Bears’ rushing defense was the worst in franchise history last year, there was hope that the signings of defensive linemen Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston would bring help to a unit that desperately needed it. However, Sunday, and in particular the final drive of the game, showed that the Bears’ run defense still has a ways to go.

To add injury to insult, several key players for the Bears left the game with injuries. Among these players was starting receiver Alshon Jeffrey as well as starting offensive linemen Matt Slauson and Roberto Garza — all of whom are essential parts to an explosive Bears’ offense. The Bears certainly missed them in overtime. They will need to be healthy and in the lineup if the Bears have any chance of bouncing back in Week Two.

Up next on the schedule are the San Francisco 49ers. Widely regarded as the class of the NFC along with the Seahawks, the Bears will have their hands full. After an utter dismantling of the Cowboys in their season opener, the Niners will be a good measuring stick to see just how good the Bears really are.

I just hope the answer to that question is one that I want to hear.

Mubarak can be reached at [email protected] and @justmubar.