College football coaches on the Hot Seat

Head Coach Will Muschamp of the Florida Gators shakes hand with Head Coach James Franklin of the Vanderbilt Commodores at the end of the game. The Commodores defeated the Gators, 34-17, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Florida, on Saturday, November 9, 2013. (Will Vragovic/Tampa Bay Times/MCT)

By Erik Prado

Sometimes I wish I were Nick Saban, Les Miles or Kirk Ferentz. None of these three will lose his head coaching position anytime soon. Even a mediocre season wouldn’t get Saban and Miles fired. I wish I were Ferentz because he has an insane contract that makes him unfireable. He’s essentially being paid to lead a program muddled in mediocrity.

Imagine if these coaches were in corporate America. The men in suits don’t play around because when an employee isn’t meeting expectations, he gets a pink slip. Miles would have been canned long ago due to some of the ridiculous soundbites that escape his mouth. But hey, that’s why we love him. 

Corporate America’s ideals don’t apply to all of the 125 FBS head coaches. Some of these coaches are given three to four years to prove their worth, even when it becomes apparent they aren’t the right person. 

But in the fifth week of the 2014 season, some coaches are already feeling the heat. Big time programs and their fans are demanding, sometimes borderline obsessed. Time to take a look at two coaches who may find themselves unemployed come December.

Brady Hoke

Temperature level: Seat is literally on fire.

There was a lot of excitement surrounding Hoke when he was hired from San Diego State in 2011. He was a standout MAC player back in the day, and eventually worked under Lloyd Carr as an assistant coach. He’s a Michigan Man.

Hoke’s teams have progressively declined since his first year. In 2011, the honeymoon year, the Wolverines won the Sugar Bowl. 2012 wasn’t perfect, but not the worst. There was an 8-5 record, a loss in the Outback Bowl — featuring The Hit (courtesy of Jadeveon Clowney). 2013 was when doubt crept in because of a 7-6 record. The Wolverines are currently 2-2 after losing to Utah at home, and the breakup is being planned.

The fan base is losing faith.  

If the coaching spot is open, here is one name to keep an eye on: Jim Harbaugh. He has one year left on his contract with the San Francisco 49ers, but he is a Michigan man. Perhaps Michigan will throw bags of money at Harbaugh and beg him to return the program to glory. Hey, crazier things have happened. 

Jim Harbaugh

Temperature level: Start looking for a job 

Muschamp is going to be gone. Muschamp’s Florida Gators took a nose dive after their 2012 Sugar Bowl berth by going 4-8 in 2013. They barely got by Kentucky. Last week’s defensive meltdown to Alabama — whose offensive coordinator is Lane “Bubble Screen” Kiffen — surely didn’t help. Oddly enough, the Gators could probably defeat a good portion of teams not in the Southeastern Conference. But the Gators are in that conference, currently playing second fiddle to all those teams.

Muschamp’s teams resemble Lovie Smith’s Bears: good on defense, and not good on offense. Due to Muschamp’s defensive background, his teams have finished no worse than 20th in points allowed. His offenses have finished 71st, 78th and 114th in points per game. Muschamp’s inability to develop offensive talent and find a game changing quarterback is his downfall. 

Only an SEC championship can save Muschamp, and that would require a miracle. 

By season’s end, more programs will obviously face turnover. But Michigan and Florida are historic programs that almost everybody knows. Clearly, Hoke and Muschamp cannot restore the glory to their respective programs.

Erik is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected] amd on Twitter @e_prada.