On board with Willard Airport rebranding efforts

By Daily Illini Editorial Board

As reported in The Daily Illini last week, a task force assembled by Chancellor Wise will release a strategic report for the rebranding of Willard Airport by the end of the year. The rebranding efforts, according to Steve Wanzek, Willard Airport manager, may include such things as adding a slogan, logos and color schemes to help standardize the Willard image.

We support the effort to rebrand and improve Willard, especially considering Champaign is the third-fastest growing city in the state and given the University’s presence. As home to the flagship campus of the University of Illinois system, Champaign has a variety of world-renowned institutions and programs that would benefit from a stronger regional airport.

Having a strong airport yields our campus many benefits.

A reliable campus airport can be a great aid for students. For example, those that live out-of-state or have out-of-state interviews will have an easier time traveling across the country to meet various obligations. And for those of us who are frantic seniors traveling to and from campus for various job interviews in Chicago and elsewhere, this is an immense benefit.

Improving and rebranding Willard would benefit the University by expanding our campus network and building our alumni base and reputation in states outside of just Illinois and the Midwest.

An expansion of air service to major eastern hubs such as Atlanta and New York could be a boon for international visitors and students that makes our campus more accessible and inviting. With expanded flights, the University can hopefully even draw in more guest speakers and lecturers for the education and enjoyment of students — and we all love when a celebrity or two comes to visit.

Expansions to major cities are not out of the question. Recently, Willard expanded service beyond just Chicago to include a daily flight to Dallas as well.

Let’s not forget — Willard can also serve an instructional role. While the University’s Institute of Aviation shut down at the close of last school year after continual operations for over 65 years, there are still avenues for students to earn an Associates Degree in Aviation in the process of becoming a University student through Parkland College.

Willard also serves as a useful recruiting tool for the University. It makes it easier for the University to court and attract potential athletes, academics and administrators — something that we most assuredly approve of.

With all of the benefits and potential Willard Airport holds to make our university better, we’re on board with Willard rebranding efforts.