Letter to the Editor: Courtyard Cafe Starbucks meets student needs

By Megan Laz

This letter is in response to the October 28 editorial, “Same drink, different noise,” addressing the addition of Starbucks to the Illini Union’s Courtyard Café.

Starbucks was constructed in the Courtyard Café in order to meet student preference and demand based off of a comprehensive student survey conducted every year for the past three years. According to its results, Starbucks was consistently the preferred coffee vendor students wanted to see at the Illini Union.

The new layout in the east side of the Courtyard Café was built for organizational purposes and ease of access for ordering.

As was an issue with our former coffee shop location, lines no longer block an exit or are congested and backed into the Courtyard Café stage. They now are single file to the east wall. The dining area is a welcome addition for socializing, studying, and providing an open atmosphere.

The Illini Union, including the Starbucks store, has not received any formal complaints about the new location from students or performers about noise levels or any other concerns. Student organizations and entertainers are informed about Starbucks operations when they schedule their event.

Starbucks also uses automated espresso machines, which actually significantly reduce the noise level compared to a typical coffeehouse.

The Illini Union continues to listen to the student body and endeavors to meet expectations, and all recent changes in the Courtyard Café reflect this commitment.

Megan Laz works for the marketing department at the Illini Union.