Computer science requirement safeguards students' futures

By Leah Pearlman

No mug in print for this column, only onlineIn the age of the Internet, the core subjects required in high school are simply not cutting it when it comes to preparing students for the increasingly technological future.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel knew that, and made Chicago the first city in the United States to make computer science a graduation requirement for all high school students. Emanuel’s five-year plan called “CS4All,” which he initiated in 2013, is either officially implemented at most schools or will be by next year.JT

This is a vital addition to the current core curriculum, as computer science is an essential tool for newly graduated students in the work force of the future.

Computer programs have infiltrated nearly every aspect of our lives. And the things that a computer programmer does, like design, develop, theorize and apply software and hardware for the programs we use everyday, are important. Even those of us who chose not to go into designing or developing should know the basics of how these things operate, as we are going to be surrounded by them.

These skills will not only be useful in the workplace, soon they will be required as the language of the new generation. Learning computer science isn’t an additional proficiency; it is more like a necessary component to getting a job at all.

“No matter what field our students pursue, having exposure to STEM will provide critical skills and training for success in their careers and in life,” said Chicago Public Schools CEO Forrest Claypool in a press release. “As a national leader in technology in the classroom, CPS will continue to push the envelope to challenge our students and ensure they’re prepared for the future.” http://cps.edu/News/Press_releases/Pages/PR2_02_24_2016.aspxJT

The plan was made official this week after a vote by the Chicago Public Board of Education. Currently, 107 Chicago Public Schools have implemented the computer science programs early, and 41 of those already meet the new graduation requirement standards.JT The district is working with Code.org and other organizations to develop the computer science education curriculum.

Some might claim an extra class is unnecessary for non-STEM majors, but the proliferation of computer science jobs in the future makes these classes important regardless.

The Chicago Public Schools’ press release also said there would be one million computing jobs open by 2024 due to a shortage of talent in the field. This is why the implementation of this new core class is so dire, especially at this time.http://cps.edu/News/Press_releases/Pages/PR2_02_24_2016.aspxJT

College Board, a website that tracks AP exams, reported 3,101 students taking the AP computer science exam in 2011 while around 35,000 students took AP government and 55,000 took U.S. History. http://www.exploringcs.org/resources/cs-statisticsJT

While government and history are important, computer science is just as important, if not more important, for the future of the work force. The mandatory computer science classes will help students discover whether they enjoy the field. Currently, there is so little exposure to computer science before college that many students don’t consider pursuing it, or even learning the basics of how it works.

For students here at the University who may have never taken a computer science class, you should take advantage of that here. Your major may not specifically require you to learn coding or programs, but our future society does

Computer science is currently only offered in 25 percent of schools across the nation. Our lives are digital, we are growing up in a technological world, and we need to be able to keep up with it. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gySkItxiJn_vwb8HIIKNXqen184mRtzDX12cux0ZgZk/pubJT

The schools of Chicago are taking a huge step toward the future by preparing their students for a world in which knowledge of computer science is necessary.

Leah is a freshman in Media.?