Quick Commentary: Kendrick's new album and a Lakers victory

By Matt Silich

Quick Commentary is a periodical critiquing of current events by the Daily Illini Opinions section’s editors. Today’s topics include Kendrick Lamar’s new album and the Golden State Warriors.

New Kendrick anything but unmastered

Alma Approved

After apparent urging from LeBron James, Kendrick Lamar released an album entitled, “untitled unmastered.” The product of an amalgamation of songs that didn’t quite make the cut on Lamar’s other albums, “untitled unmastered” is full of the bizarre song introductions and jazzy overtones that make Lamar’s rap music so uniquely captivating. That a random assortment of Lamar’s work is a more enjoyable listen than carefully crafted full albums from nearly any other current rapper except Drake indicates just how far Lamar has come in the short time since “Section.80” and “Overly Dedicated.” Though a minimum of one full, sequential listening is the recommended dosage of “untitled unmastered” from us, the highlights of the album are “Untitled 03” and “Untitled 06.”

Golden State slips up in race for record

DI Denied

The biggest upset in NBA history occurred last night, as the Los Angeles Lakers (13-51) defeated the Golden State Warriors (55-6) at home by 17 points. Golden State leaves Los Angeles still leading the pace of the 1996 Chicago Bulls for the most wins in a single season in NBA history by one game; however, it’s undeniably disappointing to see the team’s chances of setting an NBA record lessened by a poor showing after a night spent out on the town in L.A. The Warriors, even with sharpshooters Steph Curry and Klay Thompson, shot a combined 4-of-30 from the three-point line on mostly open shots, proving once again that randomness can trump even some of the best talent in the history of the sport.