“Day without women” has classist flaws

By Tatiana Rodriguez, Columnist

A day without women seems almost impossible. Not only would it be difficult to actually visualize a world where women do not exist, but such a day would be hard on the global economy.

According to a report from the Center for American Progress and the Center for Economic and Policy Research, there has been a dramatic influx of women in the labor force over the past three generations as well as growth of middle-class earnings, an increase of full-time working mothers and a rise in women’s annual hours.

Additionally, women are often ascribed domestic roles in American society. So not only do the majority of women take on gender roles that correlate to domestic duties, but they have an immense influence over the United States economy.

So what would a day without women look like? A day without women would have a tremendous impact on the United States economy as well as family life. A day without women would look like less economic productivity and would have men trading in their “manly breadwinning” roles for domestic roles.

The United States could not afford a day without women.

And that is exactly what the organizers of the Women’s March on Washington are trying to emphasize with their plan for a general strike, also known as “A Day Without A Woman.”

The strike was announced via the Women’s March’s official Twitter account on Monday, February 6th.

While the details of the strike are to be announced, the plan and the purpose of the march are clear: women are to ignore their responsibilities at home and at the workplace in order to bring attention to the importance of women and their civil rights.

And though this seems like a good idea—and it was certainly successful for Iceland in 1975—this form of activism could do more harm than good.

It’s no secret that the U.S. is made up of middle class and working class people. And with the amount of women, especially mothers, who have joined the workforce, it’s safe to say that there are millions of women who rely on their jobs to support themselves or their families.

So when an organization that became popular enough to spark thousands of protests around the country encourages women to join them in a strike such as “A Day Without A Woman,” it is asking millions of middle class and working class women to take a financial risk that they might not be able to afford.

The “A Day Without A Woman” strike requires a number of privileges in order for it to be successful. The women who are single mothers or who aren’t given days off from work or who could be easily replaced at their company are not able to participate in such a strike.

And without representing and protecting the people who are the most vulnerable in society, what good is activism anyway?
Hopefully, the Women’s March’s organizers will offer more details that address this troubling issue.

Tatiana is a freshman in Media.