White House drama desensitizes public

By Saketh Vasamsetti, Columnist

It’s been a few days since the airing of the interview between CNN’s Anderson Cooper and adult film actress Stormy Daniels (aka Stephanie Clifford) on “60 Minutes,” and White House drama continues to grow.

In the year and four months since Donald Trump’s election as president, “scandals” have been one of the most consistent aspects of his term.

It began with suspected tax fraud and continued with recordings of Trump glamorizing sexual assault/harassment followed by allegations of Russian collusion. It’s clear times of peace at the White House have been fairly rare.

And now, various women like Clifford and Karen McDougal have come out to share their stories of past alleged affairs with Trump.

However, it is more than likely this scandal will lead to little traction. In past years, such news would cause an uproar, yet we remain unfazed as we move from story to story throughout each week.

Due to growing political awareness in our society, we are slowly becoming desensitized to such scandals. They are marketed as large issues for good reason but ultimately lead to nothing. It seems everything remains at a standstill regardless of its magnitude.

Opinions are split on Trump’s productivity in office; however, he has undeniably reshaped our perception of holding government positions. Presidency is not always about being hard-nosed and gritty; Trump proved that he truly benefited from being a celebrity first.

Given time, the full stories of Clifford and other women who have brought up their alleged affairs with Trump may be released, and the details may be much more gruesome than previously thought. But chances are, it would again lead to nothing but lower approval ratings, something Trump has absorbed before.

Drama is being pushed as a last resort. It’s as if by proving Trump is a bad person, we can find some sort of key to impeachment. This claim is insane and is probably the last thing needed to improve current political tensions.  

The desensitization has already happened for the most part and will continue to grow. While our perceptions of what’s normal and what isn’t in the life of our president have shifted monumentally, it’s important to prioritize what information is necessary to inform the public.

The president’s alleged affairs with Clifford and McDougal should be covered by media outlets, but they should also be taken as learning experiences for the future rather than used to prove a point and spit on the opposition in the present.  

The phenomenon of the March for Our Lives protest should be at the forefront of these media outlets because it impacts the future of our nation right now. It’s more important to be paying attention to that rather than knowing who Trump slept around with. That’s an on-and-off event we’re more than likely to hear more about in the next few years.

The discussions on gun control and healthcare are much more important and will likely continue for years past the Trump administration. Weighty issues like this carry on from president to president, while news of who else is involved in Trump’s affairs will live and die within his presidency.

Our sensitivity for smaller issues must be shelved for the big picture so we don’t make uneducated decisions around the next election. Learning from experience is one of the most important lessons to be learned from this presidential term, but at the moment, there’s more spewing of unnecessary details than actual learning.

Saketh is a sophomore in LAS.