Keep bringing back nostalgia in television

By Noah Nelson, Columnist

Have you ever dreamed about time-travel? Has the feeling of stepping into a portal and transporting into any time and place in history ever crossed your mind? It feels like people are time-traveling through today’s pop culture, and they don’t even have to leave the comfort of their home anymore.

In 2016, fans time-traveled when the hit 1990s television show “Full House” premiered its highly anticipated spinoff “Fuller House,” which features the same actors playing their respective roles. Another classic family comedy, “Roseanne,” which featured the same cast members, returned to television for a tenth season in 2018. Even music fans received a special treat with the 2018 release of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the biographical film about Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of the British rock band Queen.

With all of these throwbacks in the last couple years, early 2000s kids are finally earning their right to time-travel, too, and we couldn’t be happier.

It all started in 2017 when Disney Channel premiered a new show titled “Raven’s Home,” a “That’s So Raven” spinoff. The show follows Raven Symone reprising her role as Raven Baxter and Anneliese van der Pol as sidekick Chelsea Daniels raising their own separate families in Chicago. The year also saw “Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie” premiere, which brought back everyone’s favorite football-headed humanitarian.

Last month, the Jonas Brothers released their new song “Sucker” which features Nick Jonas in his rightful place as lead singer of the three-man group. In February, Disney Channel released an original live-action movie featuring our generation’s favorite crimefighters Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable. Christy Carlson Romano, who voiced Kim in the original cartoon, even made a cameo in the movie.

If this doesn’t bring you back to a happy time, Miley Cyrus posted a video on Twitter last month with her hair dyed the iconic blonde, singing the words to the “Hannah Montana” theme song “Best Of Both Worlds.”

All of these comebacks make me feel like I’ve stepped back into childhood. Bringing back all of this nostalgia reminds me of a simple time in life. No wonder why people freaked out over a “Full House” comeback. This feels great.

If all of these comebacks from the 2000s were not great already, there’s talk Nickelodeon is working on a “Drake and Josh” reboot. How awesome would that be?

It’s always best to live in the present, but sometimes we need a break from this crazy life. These comebacks make for a nice time-travel trip, and they shouldn’t stop now.

So go on, say the iconic catchphrases “Hug Me Brotha!,” “Sweet Niblets!” and “Hey Arnold!” You know you want to. Everyone deserves a little throwback every once in a while.

Noah is a freshman in LAS.