Opinion | Beyond spaghetti: Recognize Italians for positive contributions

Lieutenant Joe Petrosino, an Italian-American famed for his role in infiltrating the Mafia in the late 1800s, poses for a photo. Columnist Mark hopes people recognize Italians for their positive contributions to society apart from their cuisine.

Photo Courtesy of New York City Police Department

By Mark Toledano, Columnist

In 1942, Enrico Fermi created the world’s first nuclear reactor. Guglielmo Marconi transmitted the first transatlantic radio signal. What do these people have in common? Their last names end in vowels, of course. And they all hail from the land of unlimited breadsticks and progressive culture.

Italy has long been a fortress of ideas, innovation and progress. From the ancient Romans to 20th century scientists, Italians are often at the forefront of Western development. But that’s not always what we see presented to us. 

Mobster movies have a special place in cinema history. But they’re only fun for what they are: fiction. They in no way should be a stand-in for a culture that has given us everything from pizza to the highest ideals and values of the Renaissance.

It’s true the Italian mafia wreaked havoc across America over most of the twentieth century. They were thuggish criminals who inflicted senseless violence upon anyone who opposed them. 

But what too often gets left out of the story are the every-day Italians that despised the mob and stood up to it. People like Joseph Petrosino, the New York City police officer whose knowledge of Italian language and culture allowed him to infiltrate the mob’s inner circles. 

His dedication to taking down organized crime, a sentiment shared by New York’s Italian immigrants, would put him at the receiving end of an assassin’s bullet. He was one of the many brave law enforcement officers who died in battle against crime.

Italian politics right now is in a state of chaos. It’s not too flattering to be associated with it. But most of the world’s current democracies are inextricably tied to ancient Rome. The Roman republic, along with Greek democracy, laid the foundations for the type of liberal democracy we live in today. 

Jefferson, Madison and the other American Founding Fathers feverishly studied the ancient texts the Romans produced on political thought. It was from these that they opted for a Roman-style republic over a Greek-style democracy for the structure of the American government. 

Italy is also the home of the Renaissance. “Rinascimento,” as they say. Surely you’ve heard of the masters: DaVinci, Michelangelo and Raphael. They were more than the Ninja Turtles; they forever influenced the modern world. Their experimentations with perspective led to a new style of drawing, and they were humanists. They believed people were not subjects of the Catholic Church but intelligent creatures with divine purpose. 

And what about those buffoons on TV, soaking up tan lines on the Jersey shore? Pazzo! Their lifestyles drive the life expectancy of New Jersey down a whole 10 years. But Italians are some of the healthiest people on the planet. Life expectancy in Italy is over 82 years. The Servizio Sanitario Nazionale, its public healthcare system, delivers short waiting times and exceptional medical care. 

But what really keeps them healthy is their diet. They rarely have to see the doctor. The Mediterranean diet is a model way of eating. It’s common for people of the southern Italian islands, who eat mostly fresh fish and vegetables, to live well over 100. And they don’t eat pasta every day, either. All those carbs? Pazzo!

When I look back on my history, I’m content. I see farmers, laborers, tradesmen and scholars, not thugs and buffoons. Let’s put the stereotypes where they belong: buried with the breadsticks.

Mark is a junior in ACES.

Correction: A previous version of the column misspells the painter Raphael. The Daily Illini regrets this error.