Opinion | America will eventually elect Madam President

By Noah Nelson, Senior Columnist

On Nov. 8, 2016, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton could have made history by becoming the first female elected to the American presidency. She did not achieve that feat, as her Republican opponent, Donald Trump, won the election and has been running this country for the past four years. Depending on anyone’s political preferences, one thing is for certain: Clinton did make history that night.

She proved to not only supporters but to Americans everywhere that a woman can be a major party candidate, and perhaps someday, become America’s first Madam President. Clearly, it’s bittersweet for Secretary Clinton, but one day a woman will occupy the Oval Office.

Take this election, for instance. On Aug. 11, Democratic nominee Joe Biden chose California Senator Kamala Harris as his running mate, the third woman to ever be the Vice Presidential candidate on a major party ticket after Geraldine Ferraro in 1984 and Sarah Palin in 2008. Say Biden does win in November. If in office, he passes away or he is unable to perform his duties, Harris would swear in as the country’s next president, becoming the first Madam President sooner than most thought.

Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves here, though. Three months still have to linger on before Nov. 3, and at this point, in the way the political world is today, who knows what the outcome will be. But that doesn’t mean we will never have a female president.

Throughout history, women have made their mark on the world. In 1928, Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. In 1931, Jane Addams was the first woman to win the Nobel Prize for Peace. Even in 2007, Nancy Pelosi became the first female Speaker of the House.

Since its beginnings in 1789, 44 men have held the office of president of the United States, save for Grover Cleveland’s two non-consecutive terms. Even if the American presidency having male-only members at this point in time, there’s no doubt a woman will one day join the prestigious club.

Today, women are doing things that wouldn’t have been thought possible over a century ago. Women are in the military, run large corporations, work in congress and so much more. Why can’t a woman be president someday?

Who knows what the future will hold, but if one thing is certain, the power of women will prevail. We cannot answer when and how just yet, but sometime down the line, the United States will have a Madam President.

Noah is a junior in the College of Media.