Opinion | Fans needed Phineas and Ferb comeback

Brothers Phineas and Ferb talk in their backyard in the show Phineas and Ferb

Photo Courtesy of IMDB

Brothers Phineas and Ferb talk in their backyard in the show “Phineas and Ferb”

By Noah Nelson, Senior Columnist

Whatcha doing?

If you asked me that question on Aug. 28, I would proudly tell you I watched the premiere of Disney Plus’ latest film “Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Candice Against the Universe” and the comeback of a great Disney show fans needed.

In 2007, right after the premiere of “High School Musical 2,” Disney Channel introduced viewers to step-brothers Phineas and Ferb and their building of a roller coaster in the backyard. Little did anyone know that the show’s first episode would be a stepping stone to one of Disney’s best cartoons.

The show’s premise is simple. As the title characters spend each day of summer building contraptions or traveling somewhere like the moon, their older sister Candace tries to rat them out to their mother at the same time. All the while, the boys’ pet platypus Perry leaves for his secret agent duties to fight off evil scientist Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz who attempts each day to take over the Tri-State area with a new invention.

This new film mostly centers around Candace’s abduction to an alien planet which leads Phineas, Ferb and all of their friends, even Doofenshmirtz, to try to save her and his daughter, Vanessa. 

Everything about this film was perfect, probably because everything was all the same. Between the animation, the cast, the storyline and the songs, the film was classic Phineas and Ferb. 

As 2020 hasn’t been the year many people expected, it was incredible Disney decided to release this much-needed film. And it did not disappoint. Everything about this movie made me feel like a 10-year-old all over again.

When the series ended in 2015, it was sad to see it go because fans grew up with these characters for so long. It’s great Disney brought these characters back for another go-around. It just goes to show this series is still alive and well.

In recent years, many Disney shows have made comebacks with the likes of “Raven’s Home,” “Kim Possible” and “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.” Bringing a show back to life can sometimes be disappointing because it’s nowhere near the greatness of the original, but this new “Phineas and Ferb” film lived up to its expectations.

If you are a fan of this show and haven’t watched the film yet, or want to watch it again, do it. Drop everything you’re doing and say, “I know what we’re gonna do today!”

Noah is a junior in the College of Media.