Editorial | Editorial Board selects best DI reading spots

When given the question of where the best location to read The Daily Illini, numerous spots come to mind. Whether it’s riding a bus and reading the weekly guide or scrolling the site on one’s phone while skateboarding, there are infinite possibilities as to where the DI can be read. Nevertheless, members of the Editorial Board wish to share their preferred places to inspire your daily DI read:

Diana Anghel, Editor-in-Chief

While waiting in line at the Starbucks in the bookstore. Copies are placed conveniently right as you walk in, and the line can get very long.

Heather Robinson, Managing Editor for Reporting

Perched on a bench near the Japanese garden. There you can find some rare peace and quiet from the always-happening Main Quad. And, if you need a break from processing current events, you can always give your eyes a break and take in the views, enjoying some local nature while you’re at it.

Chieh Hsu, Managing Editor for Online

Between my first and second classes on Wednesday, I enjoy reading the DI in the basement of the media library. There are also several news channels and newspapers being displayed in the room, which makes the environment fantastic for newspaper reading.

Ryan Ash, Managing Editor for Visuals

The best place to read the DI is the University of Illinois Arboretum. Especially in the spring, it’s great to sit out there with some friends and enjoy the weather.

Jonah Ozer, Design Editor

Legends: I personally enjoy getting my scoop of news from the DI with the paper in my right hand, an ice-cold Riggs wheat beer in my left and a hot, fresh fish sandwich on the table to compliment both. If you’re 21+, you can do the same at Legends.

Amrita Bhattacharyya, News Editor

Under the cherry trees at the University of Illinois Arboretum.

Carolina Garibay, buzz Editor

In between classes — whether that be on the Main Quad, the Engineering Quad or somewhere else on campus. This allows you to live out your main character moment, casually walking to class with your face buried in the local paper, while also allowing you to read fantastic stories.

Matt Troher, Investigative News & Long Form Editor

There is no better place to read the DI than in one of our campus’ many coffee shops. From Caffe Paradiso to any of the miscellaneous Espresso Royales, the eclectic atmosphere of an Illinois coffee shop suits reading the paper better than anywhere else. These coffee shops exemplify the college experience better than anywhere else, with patrons conversing, working, studying and relaxing. And that’s what journalism is all about, telling the stories of and about this campus and the people that make it what it is.

Gwyn Skiles, Features Editor

Caffe Paradiso: I always think the best way to read the news is with something warm in your hand. Caffe Paradiso has a wonderful, energetic atmosphere and the perfect cup of coffee that goes hand in hand with our stories.

Maddie Heidtke, Social Media Director

Nestled in the back corner of the second floor of Bevier Hall is Bevier Café. This student-run restaurant is my go-to spot for a quick lunch in between classes. It also happens to be my favorite place to read the DI. Every Wednesday, I’ll pick up a copy of the DI, head to Bevier Café and enjoy a turkey pesto panini while catching up on campus news.

Nathaniel Langley, Opinions Editor

My kitchen counter is the premier place for reading the DI. For the best-balanced breakfast, one must consume fruit, breakfast bars and a healthy portion of the news. Similarly, starting my day knowledgeable of campus news and culture gets me merrily on my way through a campus I then better understand.