Letter to the Editor | How to talk to someone struggling with mental health

By Isabella Arquilla

The United States transitioned the 10-digit Suicide & Crisis Lifeline to 988 in July 2022. The lifeline provides 24/7 mental health support.

This number has been instrumental in ensuring those experiencing a mental health crisis, including people who are experiencing thoughts of suicide, get connected to proper support.

988 is available to anyone that needs it. People can reach the line via call, text or chat to connect with a crisis counselor who is trained to help identify the issue that the person is facing. The counselor can provide in-the-moment support and connect them to other resources if needed.

The issue of suicide is an increasingly urgent issue that needs to be addressed, especially on a college campus. According to a 2009 study by Li, Dorstyn and Jarmon, suicide is a leading cause of death among people aged 15-29 years old.

If you are concerned that a peer is experiencing suicidal thoughts, it is important to know what resources are available to them and how they can best be supported. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, it’s important to have a conversation with your loved one if you are concerned they may have suicidal thoughts. 

In these conversations, it’s important to be direct and compassionate.

It is a widely believed misconception that asking someone if they’re experiencing thoughts of suicide may “put the idea into their head” or increase their chances of completing suicide. This idea is false. 

In reality, asking these direct questions allows us to better understand what they are experiencing, so that we can help support them. Furthermore, giving someone the space to talk about how they are really feeling decreases isolating thoughts.

These conversations can be difficult, but they can make a struggling individual feel heard, and remind them that they matter. And most importantly, it can be the first step in one getting the support they need.

If you or someone you know is experiencing thoughts of suicide, you can also visit wellness.illinois.edu for campus resources.

Want to send a letter to The Daily Illini? Submit a letter through this form. Note that we reserve the right to edit for AP style formatting or reject any contributions.