Opinion | Taylor Swift is single-handedly saving the economy

Photo courtesy of IMDb
Taylor Swift at an event for her film, “Taylor Swift: Eras Tour.” Opinions columnist Sofia Ostendorf writes on Swift’s impact on the economy.

Taylor Swift is famous for various reasons, such as her record-breaking songs and tours, although Kanye West likes to say he made her famous. However, can Kanye single-handedly save the U.S. economy time and time again? Didn’t think so. 

We have seen Taylor speak on behalf of politics and LGBTQ+ rights; we have seen Taylor break the world record for most number-one albums by a woman in history; we have seen Taylor’s fans dance so feverishly at “The Eras Tour” in Seattle that they set off a 2.3 magnitude earthquake; and, most currently, we see Taylor put the Kansas City Chiefs on the map while in saving the U.S. economy. 

On “The Eras Tour,” Taylor hit the high notes and high dollar signs, too. She made a whopping $300 million, enough to make Mr. Monopoly rethink his real estate empire. Unlike Mr. Monopoly, she didn’t pass Go and collect all the cash but instead spread the love like confetti at her concerts, showering charities and her employees with bonuses.

When her tours subsided, Taylor graciously loaned her stadiums to her boyfriend, Travis Kelce, and the National Football League for the fall. But even when the Kansas City Chiefs take the field, her presence overwhelms the stadium. 

In the past two Kansas City Chiefs games, Taylor and her coverage from the sidelines have contributed in major ways to the NFL. Don’t believe me? Let’s look at some stats. 

Since the debut of Taylor and Travis’ relationship, the NFL saw a 63% increase in female viewers aged 18-49, according to the New York Post; a 400% increase in Travis’ jersey sales, according to Rolling Stone; and a whopping 29.4 million viewers during the recent Chiefs versus Jets game, according to Insider. Compared to the usual 19.9 million viewers that usually view Sunday Night Football, this is a large feat. 

You know you’re a superstar when you don’t even need to step onto the football field to boost NFL ratings. Even her boyfriend, one of the best tight ends in the game, can’t pull off those stats. I’ve seen tight ends catch passes, but Taylor is catching the attention of millions without breaking a sweat. She’s the MVP of music and ratings without having to don a helmet. 

Not only has Taylor made millions through the stadiums, but continued making her fortune through the premiere of her movie, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour.” The film provides an opportunity for fans who couldn’t attend her live performances to witness her showstopping showmanship on the big screen. Additionally, it offers those who already saw her in concert a chance to relive the magic in a more intimate stadium setting, creating a cozy and nostalgic experience.

“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” has also taken space on social media, where fans are seen dancing and shouting from their seats or forming mosh pits at the front of the big screen. Many outsiders deem this behavior cultlike for a simple movie viewing, but this tour forgoes simplicity, which I believe allows for such behavior. 

Although the crowds at one’s local theater do not compare to the stadium-packed viewing of her performances, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” continues to stimulate the economy on a large scale. According to Business Insider, the film shattered a box-office record as it raked in $95-97 million in its opening weekend. Thus, it has received attention from the Federal Reserve as it continuously boosts the economy.

From “The Eras Tour” to the NFL to her newly released film, Taylor’s economic healing powers make legislators and capitalists scratch their heads. Looks like it’s time to get a PhD in economic Swiftology.

Taylor’s economic influence is of such colossal magnitude that it’s as if other nations are vying for the honor of hosting her tour. This magnetic attraction has prompted her to take “The Eras Tour” on a global journey, with stops now dotting the landscapes of South America and Europe, casting a mesmerizing economic spell across continents.

So, the question stands: Taylor for president? I mean, she’s done more to save the economy than even Donald Trump claimed to have done, and she didn’t even have to evade taxes or tweet at 3 a.m. to do it. 

Sofia is a junior in LAS.