Letter to the Editor | Praise for Champaign as a Certified Welcoming place

I am writing to speak of my gratitude for the publishing of the article “Champaign becomes first Illinois city to be designated as Certified Welcoming place” by Mary Piacente that was published on Nov. 7, 2023. To learn that the community of Champaign is only the 21st city in the nation to receive this distinguished honor is amazing. 

For me, to see that Champaign is a welcoming space to all is something that speaks volumes about the work being put into the process. Being a student who grew up just a short drive away from the University of Illinois, I can see the differences between Champaign and its surrounding localities. To know that this city will welcome each resident and student with open arms is reassuring, and promotes diversity and inclusivity. 

The city of Champaign being recognized as a welcoming city has given me a larger appreciation for Mayor Deborah Feinen, the Champaign City Council and all the organizations involved that make Champaign a great place to live.  To improve this in the future, we as residents, need to embrace our newest neighbors and colleagues regardless of their culture or background.  

I truly thank you for highlighting the city of Champaign, and giving it the proper recognition for being one of the most welcoming cities in America. 

Want to send a letter to The Daily Illini? Submit a letter through this form. Note that we reserve the right to edit for AP style formatting or reject any contributions.