Letter to the Editor | Homeless veterans deserve more aid

By Shannon Dolan

You may have recently come across a news story about Kate McClure, a young woman who raised over $300,000 for a homeless veteran who helped her out when she ran out of gas one evening. As amazing as this story is, when did it become the responsibility of a 23-year-old woman to aid this man?

Veteran homelessness has been an enormous problem in our society in recent years. According to the 2009-2013 Census, Illinois has 2.5 percent of the nation’s homeless veteran population, and it is estimated that veterans constitute 16 percent of the homeless population in the United States.

The U.S. military budget for 2018 is $824.6 billion and only $78.9 billion (not even 10 percent) is being given to the Department of Veterans Affairs. That money is allocated to many different areas, leaving few resources for this specific population of homeless veterans. Thanks to a grant from the Department of Labor, Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois recently was able to conduct an event called Stand Down for Homeless Veterans.

This event allowed for veterans to receive basic necessities, health care, mental screenings, workshops and housing information. The grant also funded expansion of the General Wayne A. Downing Home for Veterans, which will now be able to house 15 more veterans each night. More grants and programs like this need to be put into place for our veterans since this is a problem that is not going away anytime soon.

When veterans sign the dotted line committing themselves to serve our nation honorably, our nation makes a promise to care for them for the rest of their lives. Veterans’ service to our country should not be taken lightly. With the holiday season coming up, consider donating to the Salvation Army or Goodwill Industries’ veterans programs for homeless veterans.

Shannon is earning her Masters in Social Work.