Hoarding isn’t a bad hobby

Photo Courtesy of Pixaby

A collection of colorful rocks lay in a pile.

By Noah Nelson, Senior Columnist

In the world of reality television, countless shows over the years have exposed so many people’s personal lives to viewers in numerous ways. Whether the stars are either traveling the country searching for antiques like on “American Pickers,” experiencing constant celebrity drama on “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” or pulling hilarious pranks on “Impractical Jokers,” none of these shows will come close to the level of comedy and disturbance that’s showcased on A&E’s “Hoarders.”

On the show, cameras take viewers inside homes with enough junk for a garage sale or just to burn the house down altogether. Better yet, the owners hardly ever want to throw anything out, because it may have sentimental value or something else along those lines. It’s comical yet heartbreaking all at the same time. 

If you’ve seen the show, then you know hoarding the way those people do it is a horrible habit. Nevertheless, hoarding isn’t such a bad hobby so long as you stick to one central theme.

Did you ever have a collection of some sort growing up? Like Legos, Beanie Babies or anything Disney? Do you still own all of those items?

If you do, don’t stress about it. It’s great to have a collection dedicated to one central theme. Just don’t be like the people on “Hoarders” who save anything and everything they ever come to contact with.

Even celebrities have collections too. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt collected stamps. Actress Debbie Reynolds collected various Hollywood memorabilia. Even Academy Award winner Tom Hanks collects typewriters.

In the last few years, I noticed that I accumulated a collection of my own consisting of two different types of items: books and autographs. I seem to always find myself purchasing more volumes at bookstores. Along with that, I tend to meet various celebrities all the time and I always have them sign something for me or I just purchase an autograph somewhere. 

These two collections are not obsessive by any means, just a hobby that has turned into quite an enjoyable pastime. It’s taught me patience, opened me up to a whole new world of information and has played a major role in my life these last fews years that I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.

So if you’re one who enjoys collecting something in particular, like anything related to “Star Wars” or “Harry Potter,” baseball cards or bobble heads, keep on doing what you’re doing. It’s completely alright to collect items related to one central theme.

Just don’t go overboard and collect multiple items like the people on “Hoarders.” You don’t want the health department coming to your home anytime soon. 

Anyway, enjoy your collecting process, whatever it may be. Happy hunting!