Suspect for Green Street shooting arraigned

Robbie+Patton%2C+18-years-old+at+the+time%2C+appears+on+video+from+the+Department+of+Corrections+during+his+arraignment+at+the+Champaign+County+Courthouse+Friday%2C+Sept.+30%2C+2016.+A+jury+found+Patton+guilty+of+first-degree+murder+and+three+counts+of+aggravated+battery+with+a+firearm+on+Thursday.+

Photo by Aaron Navarro

Robbie Patton, 18-years-old at the time, appears on video from the Department of Corrections during his arraignment at the Champaign County Courthouse Friday, Sept. 30, 2016. A jury found Patton guilty of first-degree murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm on Thursday.

By Aaron Navarro, Assistant Daytime News Editor

Robbie Patton, the Champaign man accused of Sunday morning’s fatal Green Street shooting, was arraigned in the Champaign County Courthouse Friday for six total counts.

Judge Brett Olmstead arraigned Patton for three counts of first degree murder against George Korchev, the 22-year-old Mundelein man killed in Sunday’s shooting. Patton was also read three other counts of aggravated battery with a firearm towards Erik Lasaine and Robert Shepard, two University students, as well as Moses Lopez. All three men were shot Sunday while walking along the Boneyard Creek sidewalk north of the 300 block of East Green Street.  

Each of the counts of first degree murder have a possibility of 20 to 60 years if convicted, Olmstead said. Patton additionally faces a 25 year sentence for discharging the gun in an act of violence.

The counts of aggravated battery are Class X felonies, right below first degree murder. They carry a six to 30 year sentence if convicted along with the additional 25 years due to the firearm.

All six counts have a possible fine of $25,000 and three years of parole supervision following incarceration.

The investigation into the shootings on Sunday is still ongoing, Champaign Police said. Patton turned himself into the Champaign County Police Thursday night. He is currently in custody at the Champaign County Jail. He heard his arraignment from the correctional center through a video stream into the courtroom.

Patton’s next appearance in court was set for a preliminary hearing on Tuesday, Oct. 11 at 2 p.m. at the Champaign County Courthouse. Patton is being appointed a defender for the case.

The other shots fired at 1:08 a.m. Sunday on State Street is also still under investigation. One 25-year-old woman suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was later discharged from the hospital.

CPD says that there is no video surveillance of that incident and that they have received little to no cooperation in the investigation. Champaign police spokeswoman LaEisha Meaderds said that they are skeptical that Patton’s and this incident are related.

CPD is asking anyone with information on either shooting to contact the investigation division by phone at 217-351-4545 or email at [email protected].