Suspected shooting near First & Armory

Police cars near the scene of the shooting around 1 a.m. on May 13. A suspect, 20-year-old Devon Cooper from Danville, Illinois, has been arrested by the Champaign Police Department in relation to the case.

Patrick Li

Patrick Li

By Brooke Eberle, Brand Manager

University students reported multiple shots fired around 1 a.m. near the corner of First and Armory.

Malec Caudell, senior in Media, and Logan Tipsword, junior in LAS, said they were in their fraternity when they heard the shots go off. Police arrived and blocked off the area from Second Street and Gregory Drive to First Street and Chalmers Street. Students said the area smelled of smoke.

“We saw people running around, but that could have been for any given reason,” Caudill said. “(Police) are not saying much right now, they’re trying to keep things calm because I know a lot of people in area are celebrating graduation.”

“It’s crazy, you don’t think stuff is going to happen right at the end of the year, it just makes me nervous,” he added.

Champaign and University police could not be reached for comment.

This is a developing story.

About the Writer
Brooke Eberle, Brand Manager

Hi, I’m Brooke Eberle and I’m a senior in journalism getting minors in PR and communications. Previously I was the interim summer editor-in-chief, special sections editor, and I worked as a features writer. As the brand manager, I’m in charge of recruiting new employees and creating social events, fundraisers and philanthropies. In my spare time, I love writing longforms, reading books and staying caught up with all of my favorite TV shows.