The most beautiful places on campus

By Ambika Dubey

I bet you thought I would include the Main Quad in this list. If so, ha! You’re wrong and I win. If you didn’t think so, well…fine. The Main Quad is beautiful, no doubt, but in my adamant refusal to swim up the mainstream, here are four other places I love on our campus:

The South-South Quad

Beyond the bell tower on the South Quad, what I call the South-South Quad offers such an uninterrupted expanse of sky, that looking up provides a spectacular view, whether at night or during the day.

If you love geometric patterns, stand in the middle of the bell tower and look up! The concentric squares in squares in squares are immensely satisfying to the eye, and if you are there at the right time, the bells might even ring just for you.

Try to ignore the comic sans in the University seal at your feet though. I’m serious. If you haven’t noticed it before, it becomes painfully apparent when the lettering is extremely large and incredibly close.

The greenhouses

Did you know you can explore the greenhouses? You can actually go inside them!

The Greenhouse Conservatory and Plant Collections is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

If you miss the hours for the Conservatory, you can still read all the interesting old articles and newspaper clippings that are posted on the walls of the greenhouse and roam the halls of the building, just so you can say you did.

The courtyard between Wohlers Hall, David Kinley Hall and the Architecture Building

The tables and benches beyond the archway between Wohlers Hall and the Architecture Building make a wonderful site for a picnic.

While you’re there, see if you can find the face (I can’t decide whether it’s supposed to be a cherub) on the Architecture Building and the date at the top of the pipe running down Wohlers.

Alternatively, if you’re the kind of person who listens to nature playlists and keeps that one track with the sound of a bubbling stream on repeat, the Weston Fountain on the Kinley side is for you. Serene and calm, it’s the perfect place to read a book or take a nap.

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts

Krannert’s roof is a beautiful stargazing spot. Second only to the South Quad at night in terms of how much of the sky you can see, standing atop Krannert gives you more of a sense of proximity to the stars.

This building is actually quite wonderful; without even stepping inside it, you can stargaze on the roof, sit in the outdoor amphitheater or even explore the patches of foliage that are scattered on top of the building.

Inside the building is another story. I cannot even count the number of times I have done my physics homework at the tables inside Krannert. If you want the coffee-shop ambiance without having to go to one, this is the place to be.