How to use McKinley Health Center

By Natalie Gacek

Getting sick at school can be a pain. Sadly, gone are the days of mom taking you to the doctor and tending to your needs.

So, use the McKinley Health Center to your benefit to get proper health care on campus. Here’s some basic information to know in order to make your McKinley experience struggle-free.

McKinley offers a helpful, welcoming environment to students requiring care. Better yet, the center is included in your student fees, so it’s essentially free for students to use. Learn how to take advantage of it.

Feeling under the weather? McKinley has general medical clinics with professional practitioners willing to assist sick students. Appointments can be made by phone during their office hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Numerous doctors are ready to diagnose you as accurately as possible. They can also provide you with a doctor’s note if you need to miss class or work due to an illness.

McKinley has a pharmacy that will serve your medication needs. With a prescription from a doctor, your order can be filled and refilled promptly. Keep in mind that medications do come with a fee that can be paid with cash or credit or can be charged to your student account.

The center also offers free over-the-counter self-care supplies for students who are looking for handy products. Each student is eligible to pick up a cold pack and wound kit twice per semester. It also provides students with various contraceptive items, including birth control pill options and condoms.

McKinley’s Laboratory provides students with quality results to tests for a quick diagnosis. From throat cultures to blood tests to sexually transmitted disease assessments, the lab is fully equipped to help you.

If you plan on going abroad, McKinley’s Immunization and Travel Clinic offers vaccinations, allergy shots and screening to prevent illnesses and prepare you for traveling overseas.

The Radiology department performs X-ray tests that are developed and interpreted in-house.

Students can also use a telephone service called Dial-A-Nurse to consult a nurse 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The nurse answers general questions about illnesses and injuries and gives students advice on how to move forward. The nurse can suggest basic self-care, recommend an appointment or encourage emergency action.

Internet savvy? MyMcKinley is an online service where students can log in with their NetIDs and access their healthcare accounts. From making appointments and requesting prescriptions to viewing test results and retrieving medical forms, MyMcKinley is a secure, accessible way to find out information online.

McKinley is located at 1109 S. Lincoln Ave. in Urbana, which is walking distance for some students, but may be a longer hike for others. Luckily, the 22-South bus has a stop location just outside the building, and there is a parking lot with meters for students with cars.

These are only some of the options McKinley offers to students. Visit its website to learn about additional health programs and medical clinics.

McKinley Health Center is a great medical resource at our disposal as students. Stay healthy by using this helpful facility on campus.

Natalie is a junior in Media.