Useful apps make college life easier

By Natalie Gacek

It seems like all the information we need to get by on a daily basis is at the tips of our fingers. Literally.

Apps available on cell phones and tablets have taken over the tech world and become a reliable resource.

Blackboard Mobile Learn: Keep up with Compass 2g without breaking out your laptop. See your latest assignments, read announcements from professors and check grades on this app. You can also post to discussions, attach files and view content from instructors. Don’t fall behind and do make your academics an easily accessible part of your tech world.

Illini Bus: Campus can sometimes seem huge and can be tough to navigate. Use the Champaign Urbana Mass Transit District buses to get to class, the gym or simply around the University in a speedy way. It allows you to track which bus is nearby or find one at a certain destination. Plan your trips and search for buses with this app’s detailed schedule and easy-to-read map.

Hooked: Eating out can get pricey on a college budget, so who doesn’t love a great meal deal? Hooked lets you know which local restaurants have deals so you can choose where you want to eat for cheap. From breakfast and lunch, to dinner and dessert, to late night snacks, the app updates for all options throughout the day. Chains such as McDonald’s, Which Wich and Dunkin’ Donuts are always on there, along with campus favorites including Mia Za’s, Antonio’s Pizza and Orange Leaf frozen yogurt. Eat well and save money with Hooked.

Zondr: Become an expert on campus nightlife by always knowing what’s going on in the social scene. Zondr is exclusive to U of I and allows you to see which bars are the hot spot. Showing details such as drink deals, capacity, line length and cover charge, the app instantly reveals the pros and cons of going to each bar. Furthermore, you can connect with friends by finding their location, uploading photos and creating chats. 

Yik Yak: Add this app to your social networks and see what your fellow students on campus are talking about. It shows a live feed of posts from people based on your location. From funny jokes to random happenings, Yik Yak allows members to share stories and connect with others. Each user can upvote or downvote posts to determine which topic stays hot on the radar. Just a warning – anonymous users may not censor their posts, so read carefully!

Venmo: You’re going to owe your friends money more often than you think. Link up your debit card to Venmo and make quick transactions. You’ll never have to scramble to find cash.

The Weather Channel: Trust me. You don’t want get drenched in a storm, nor sweat through your shirt in class, nor freeze walking through a blizzard.

Hook up your smartphone with these useful apps and make your college life tech-friendly every day. Tweet: Check out these seven must-needed apps for colleges.

Natalie is a junior in Media.