Dressing the part: How to select clothing, accessories for career fairs, interviews

Seniors Wisa Terhune and Keven Zarate help each other search for new additions to their wardrobes at the Career Center’s location on Green Street on Jan. 28 2016.

By Victoria Snell

The start of the spring semester becomes a time when students seek out potential jobs and interviews. While good grades make an impression, it’s important to look the part, as well. Not sure what to wear? Take a look below for clothing that could help you land the job or internship.

Suits

It’s important to have a suit that fits properly, as it shows that you mean business. Not only could it be a future job requirement, but it also displays a sense of professionalism.

For women, suits have the option of having pants or skirts for a bottom. Whether you go for pants or skirts, make sure they are hemmed at the proper height. This means that skirts should be at the knee, and at the very shortest, slightly above the knee. Like men, women’s suits should also fit properly.

Dress shirt

Along with the suit, it’s essential to wear a button-up shirt. For interviews and job fairs, stick with whites and neutral colors to avoid being distracting. Be sure to tuck the shirt in as well.

The dress shirt for women is similar to the tie for men. There are more choices when it comes to style and color. Whether it is a button up shirt, or a simple blouse, it should be modest and neutral to avoid being distracting or unprofessional.

Belt and shoes

Number-one rule when it comes to these: The shoes must match the belt. Not only is it professional, but it shows that you’ve made the effort.

When it comes to shoes, simple flats or heels work with career outfits. However, it is important to wear closed-toe shoes to maintain a level of professionalism.

Accessories

Within reason, the tie is something to play with (in terms of colors and patterns). Ties pull an entire look together, so they are a necessity when it comes to a career outfit.

Jewelry isn’t necessary. If the urge to wear jewelry occurs, keep it small and simple. When in doubt, just don’t wear it at all to avoid being too flashy or distracting.