Following up with employers can be crucial to landing a job, program

By Rabia Ilyas

Many students are hesitant to follow up because it can be intimidating and the process can seem unclear. However, following up shows an employer that an applicant is still interested in the position or program and that they are willing to take initiative.

Students can take advantage of resources offered by the Career Center on campus to help guide them through the post-interview process.

“Many students come to the Career Center with questions about post follow-up after they have had interviews,” said Eden Haycraft, assistant director of campus recruiting and job preparation at the Career Center. ss

For interviews in particular, she recommends students reach out 24 to 48 hours after with a thank-you letter or email showing their appreciation.

“It may not affect the decision greatly, but it is respectful and recognized by the admissions committee,” she said.

While students may be eager to leave the interview as soon as it’s finished, it’s also important to ask questions at the end regarding following up. Asking about next steps or the timeline of the process is a great way to highlight interest in the position.

Following up with companies and employers at career fairs is also important. Kayla Keehn, graduate assistant at the Career Center, advises students to ask for business cards and contact information during career fairs so they can have a way to reach out later.ss

“It’s also important to create a memorable interaction between an employer because if they can remember your face or conversation, it makes following up easier,” Keehn said.

Chaznite Sullivan, mock interview program coordinator, ssadded, “This first interaction sets the tone for a positive relationship.”

She recommends that when following up, students reference a particular aspect of the conversation they had with the individual.

It’s also important to recognize that the process of following up can vary, depending on the situation. For example, following up after an interview is not the same as following up after a career fair.

“Following up after a career fair is more flexible because you are looking for career opportunities and not specific positions, which leaves room for outreach,” Haycraft said.

In addition, students need to respect the company or program’s requirements. They should not follow up if an employer or website has a timeline of important dates. For example, some medical school admissions committees let students know when they will be notified of their decision of acceptance.

While following up may seem respectful and noted, it is not recommended in all cases.